𝟘:𝟘𝟘

[act i]
[chapter one: birth]

Japan, 1898
9:35 am, July 24th

The sweet warmth of the summer lingered in the air as the soft shades of lavender and artic blue painted its optimistic philosophy in the neverending sky, and the fluffy white clouds lazily drifted attached to the painting made by God—his handcrafted renaissance. That night, white specks sprinkled the darkening skies and showcased milky ways that were light-years away.

A whimper was heard before wailing in pain. "Just push. You're almost there." A calm feminine voice said, trying to ease the pain with solace. The woman tried to calm down, her grip tightening on the sheets of the futon. Her knuckles were white from her grasp. She was in pain. Breathing in and out, her breath steadily got better. But, with another attempt to push, another cry fell from her lips.

"Come on, Kie. You got this." The midwife whispered, eyes holding hope for the mother. Kie shook her head, pleading with tears. The progress was slow. She had been like this for more than a day. If she didn't make it, she hoped her child would. First, the baby was in a breech position. Luckily, despite the pain, her friend applied pressure on her abdomen, turning the infant around so they could be head first.

Sweat glistened on her forehead. She was hot, distressed, and worried about her child's life. "I don't think– I don't think I'll be able to finish pushing..." Kie spoke, her tone laced with uncertainty and fear. The midwife looked at her, shock etching onto her face. There's no way she'll let her friend give up. She's strong and still has a long way to go. Her husband, her dreams, her future, they're all waiting, and so is the child in her stomach.

"Kie, keep pushing. Don't give up. Don't ever give up. You and your child will make it. Your husband is waiting for you out there." The black-haired woman said, determined to see her go through life. Her teeth gritted subtly. She looked at the sliding door. Two figures stood on the other side. One was panicked a bit, pacing around. The other tried to calm them down. They were both young adults preparing for a family. Stressing about this ordeal wasn't rare.

Kie's head fell back as she pushed as hard as she could. Her cries filled the room as she dug her nails into the futon. She was slowly losing consciousness. Looking out the window, she noticed how beautiful the sky was. So pretty. The Moon seemed close, and its radiant light shined on Kie like it was watching her. Tears ran down her face, staining her flushed cheeks as she watched the light grow brighter within her eyes.

"Please, help my baby. If it means I have to die for my child to live, then take me instead." Kie whispered, praying to the Deity of the Moon. If there was ever a choice between her living and her children dying, then she'll die in their place instead. She wanted to keep them safe, out of harm's way, even if it meant sacrificing her own life. The Moon was beautiful tonight. Kie's eyes drooped, almost closing fully.

"Kie? Kie? Kie!" The midwife shouted as she watched her friend close her eyes and fall limp. She looked to see the head of the child pushing out and then stopping. She gasped, scared of the situation. Tears welled in her eyes as she couldn't find any words to say. Standing up, ready to tell the Husband the news, she stopped. The subtle movement of the infant getting pushed out made her eyes widen. She looked at her friend's chest to see it rising up and down. She was still fighting.

Dropping down immediately, the midwife carefully grabbed the head of the baby, grazing its bundle of hair. With a final push, the baby was out. The midwife let out tears of joy once she heard the cry of the infant, crying from the situation. The midwife noticed Kie's condition. She was breathing. "Thank you..." Kie whispered sweetly, looking at the Moon. Its form seemed to retreat into the starry night, above the clouds, watching the rest of the world.