𝟙:𝟘𝟘

[act i]
[chapter two: cruelty]

Japan, 1911
9:46 am, December 31st

The snow was whalebone-white. Winter's incising storms and battering gusts had come and gone, leaving a dreadful equilibrium. The skeletal skies above were an unholy combination of steel-grey clouds and pasty streaks. The unsympathetic season was suffocating the world with its frigid breath. Disoriented breaths blew in the air like a whisper as the sound of boots crunching in the plethora of snow blended in the storm.

A trail of blood splattered the white canvas, staining its icy form. "Come on. You can pull through. Don't give up on us. Your big brother's got you." A voice spoke. Despite the harsh weather, One could hear the sound of worry wavering in his tone. The wind blew harsher each second as the trees croaked from the brutal nature. The air was cold and cruel to the bare skin that felt it, making the skin turn red.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

●▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

"Tanjiro, your face is covered with soot. You too, Ichiro. Come over here." Kie said, the soft-spoken equilibrium of her motherly instincts wavering in her tone. She wiped her hands with the handkerchief before walking toward Tanjiro. She kneeled, wiping the soot off of the young boy's face. She looked at the older boy, who averted his eyes. A soft smile made its way to her lips.

She giggled at the boy's reaction. "You're not too old for me to clean your face off, Ichiro," Kie said. Reminding the boy that it wasn't embarrassing for her to wipe anything dirty off him. He looked at her with a slight pout. She urged him to step forward, closer to her. Ichiro reluctantly followed her orders. She wiped the soot off his face, cleaning every dirt on his cheek.

Tanjiro watched with a smile before chuckling. "Would you like it if I did it instead?" Tanjiro said, attempting to tease his older sibling. Ichiro looked at Tanjiro with a brief scowl. Tanjiro and Kie laughed at his facial expressions. The embarrassed boy looked away, redness creeping on his cheeks. Kie tapped his nose, seeing his reaction. He briefly sighed at his mother and brother's teasing antics. She chuckled before patting his head.

"It's dangerous with all this snow falling, you two. I understand if you both stay." Kie said. Her tone held worry and understanding. She finished wiping Ichiro's face with the handkerchief before caressing his cheek, a soft smile plastered on her lips. She stood up, walking to Tanjiro. Her hands brushed Tanjiro's hair back, revealing his forehead and placing a kiss on it.

"I can take care of myself and Tanjiro. Remember, I have to protect you all." Ichiro softly said, determination swirling in his eyes. Tanjiro smiled at his words. Ichiro took the role of being a big brother seriously, so hearing him respond with such resolve was heartwarming. Tanjiro placed a hand on Ichiro's shoulder, his warm touch familiar. The boy was slightly surprised, but his posture remained.

"It's almost the New Year, Mother. We want to make sure everyone can eat to their heart's content! Even still, we're only going to sell a few resources." Tanjiro reassured, Ichiro subtly nodding in agreement. The two had packs of charcoal and wood on their backs, intent on selling them to the townspeople below. Ichiro had double the amount of wood in his basket than Tanjiro's charcoal-filled basket.

"Thank you," Kie spoke gratefully, pulling both boys in for a hug. Her warm embrace soothed them. Ichiro eyes softened as he returned her hug, embracing Tanjiro as well. He was grateful for his family. The thought of them made Ichiro want to set a good example, a role model. He loved them. Every fiber in his body and every breath he took was all because of them. He loved them.