Prologue

Two years ago, my mother went missing. No one knows where she vanished to or if she's still alive. We searched high and low only to come back with nothing. Father took it the hardest, but Cody and I were also devastated. Mother was what kept us all together, it seems, because Cody went off on his own a week after Mother's burial. He said his goodbyes, of course, but it still hurt nonetheless. Our family is torn now. Just dad and I left.

A year later, I made a friend. Her name is Ruby, and like us, she lost her father and was left with her mother. She hasn't mentioned any other siblings, and her mother left her to fend for herself somewhat. Despite that, she wants Ruby to be home before the moon rises. Ruby's mother is protective but even more neglectful towards Ruby. Ruby has taken care of herself from the day her father passed away. She learned how to fend for herself.

A couple of days after I learned about Ruby's mother not taking care of her, I told dad about not being able to keep it to myself. I don't think I've ever seen my father look so disturbed. How could a mother refuse to take care of her child? He told me to tell Ruby that she was always welcome here.

Once Ruby learned of my dad's message, she looked happy but declined to live with us because her mother would scavenge for her until she was found. Despite not choosing to live with us, she began to visit more frequently. So frequently that we developed a routine. Ruby no longer had to take care of herself during the day. My father would pack us both lunches before we left the house, and we'd have dinner right before the sun began to set so that Ruby would be home before the moon fully rose.

That was our routine, and I think we're gonna be sticking to it for a while. I think dad was even a little happier too.

I hope it stays this way.