EPISODE 06: Masculine Masquerade

Don's aunt comes to visit
(Notes: Don and Dick are working at a gas station now
Don's aunt's name is Meredith Mondelli; aunt Meredith)

Don has taken the day off while Dick and Dashlie are at work because today was a special day, his aunt was coming. Waking up like usual from a nightmare, he gets ready, dressing in an odd fit to hopefully please his aunt, as she nor the rest of the family had ever seen him wearing his usual clothes, and if they did he would probably be mocked on his masculinity for it. When he finishes his morning routine, there's a knock at the door and his aunt is there. A happy reunion. His aunt has a rental car and they talk about where to go. Don hasn't had breakfast yet so they go to Waffle House, but Don can't eat anything because he's too nervous and doesn't have an appetite. His aunt wants to meet his friends, so they head to the gas station

Dick is at work and Don shows his aunt there. She is trying to act amazed that he works at a gas station, as previously he had been working for a big corporation, but Don assures her it is only temporary until he and Dick figure stuff out. His aunt questions who Dick is, and he realizes he never told his family about his friends. His aunt gets super excited that he has friends, complaining about how he never really had any growing up, and while she was happy to be his friend, he did need to have friends his own age, as she knows hanging out with your aunt isn't necessarily something a teen would want to do.

Don leads her into the gas station, where they find Dick. Don calls out to Dick and he turns, and Dick, who had been stocking shelves, stops completely when he sees what Don is wearing, and he drops what he had been holding out of shock. Don and his aunt approach, Dick greeting him, a bit surprised.

He starts off saying "why are you wearing—" but Don cuts him off and says "another flannel today? Even though I wore one yesterday? And the day before that? And the week before that? And the many years before that? You know me, I love my... flannels. Some may think it was a problem" Dick looks between Don and his aunt, trying to figure out what is going on, before he leans in and asks if Don is in danger, and if so blink twice. Don's aunt hears that and laughs, saying she's his aunt and it's a pleasure to meet him.

She questions Don why Dick would think he's in danger, and Dick just says he doesn't wear flannels EVERY day, so to talk about it like he does kinda concerned Dick, and the fact he was with a woman Dick had never seen before only added to that worry. Don's aunt laughs once more and compliments Dick, saying he's a good friend for worrying. She questions Don why he seriously never told her about Dick.

Don says they only really became friends a few months ago when they were still at work, where they and another girl (Dashlie) had met. Don's aunt understands, though she's a bit confused why Don never contacted the family, mainly her, about the big change in moving, only telling her his address. Don says he doesn't want the whole family parading around behind him trying to be sure he was safe, he's gotta live his own life, and Don's aunt understands.

The two then bid Dick farewell, as Don is taking his aunt to see Dashlie, and Dick quickly pulls Don aside to ask what is going on. Don says his aunt is merely visiting and nothing else, but Dick clarifies that he wants to know why Don changed clothes and is acting so weird, and Don snaps that it's really none of his business. Don's aunt calls him from the front of the store and Dick let's him go

At the pet store, the birds that had once escaped back in episode one had been put in a cage more sturdy. Don asks if his aunt wants to take a pet home, and she says she wants the whole store, no but in reality she would love to but she wouldn't be able to hold on to it for the entire drive home. Dashlie approaches, not realizing its Don, and when they turn around she is very surprised. She also seems boggled by his clothes but brushes it off for the moment, instead switching to a friendly smile and greets the two, calling Don's aunt his mom.