"Welcome to the Elections. Let me introduce to you, the heir of the imperial family, his highness Xiao Wu Qing of the Chen Empire."

1014 AD

Cai Xu Kun

"Kun, did you see Zheng Hao?" His mom called for her oldest son while handling the younger ones Cheng Cheng and Lin Kai.

"Nope, but I brought some Vegetables from miss Zhou, she had some to spare. I'm going to make lunch." The just 11-year-old Xu Kun came in with a basket of vegetables in his arms.

"Thank you, Kun, I always can count on you. And If you see Miss Zhou next time, tell her that I'm very grateful!" His mom left the kitchen and took Kun's little brothers with her, so they won't bother him.

"Let's see, what can I do?" Kun looked at the vegetables and the little bit of flour they had left. They barely had enough money to buy food, so they are only eating once a day. 

Kun himself was very slim, not getting enough nutrients into his small body. Ever since he remembered, he had been helping his mother to make money and feed his little brothers. He knew how to do a various list of household duties. Like cooking. His favorite activity.

"I'm done, mom! Eat with them, I will go out to find Zheng Hao." Kun left the house to find his youngest brother Zheng Hao.

Chen Li Nong

"Your Highness, it's time for your morning classes." Li Nongs's personal eunuch Zheng Yi Xing woke him up, exactly one hour after the sun rose. 

"Hmmm, I'm coming!" The little boy of nine years got up from his bed. 

It took him some effort, the bed was huge, and he refused to be helped, stating "I am the crown prince and a big boy".

"What does your highness want to wear today?"

A variety of mostly similar-looking clothes were put in front of him. The strict clothing rules for members of the imperial family were too much for the little prince to remember so he left the clothing choice to Yi Xing.

"Isn't it always the same?"

His interest in clothing decreased significantly growing up.

"I do have a different one here if his highness wants to try."

Yi Xing holds a silver cape with blue flowers on it. It was quite different from the normally reddish ones and instantly caught Li Nong's eyes.

Little Li Nong jumped, excited to try it on.

"Now you're highness, here's your daily plan."

Li Nong just nod and followed after the maids that lead him to breakfast. 

Classes were intense and put a huge burden on the little boy. As the only prince as of now, Li Nong took the burden for the future of the whole empire on his shoulders.

Yi Xing rarely saw the prince smile. He knew the prince hated the imperial palace, the imperial family, all the intrigue for power.

"Can we visit the city outside?" Li Nong asked his eunuch. 

"Your highness, his majesty, the Emperor won't be happy about that."

It was just past lunch and evening classes were yet to begin.

"I won't even leave the wagon. Just looking outside the window, please."

Yi Xing was deliberating the possible outcomes of bringing the little prince outside.

"Fine, but your highness must promise, that he won't leave the car."

As long as the little prince was happy, it was worth some risks.