01

Do you know the worst part about working at a library? These lovely encounters:

"I've told her so many times, Crown of Horns is so much better than Devil on My Shoulder. it just makes sense! I'm not all into the succubus shit. She's into some kinky shit man," A man groaned and cried about two different book series that weren't even related in any way other than some demon shit. I really could care less. "What do you think?" Ah man, don't ask me what my opinion is. If I was to say anything, I'd tell him how much I couldn't stand the garbage smell that lingered off of his clothes and the oily hair that rested just over his eyelashes.

"Well, I think they're both great books. It all depends on your preference. She can like that book, and you can like this one. At least you won't have to fight over who finishes it first," I lied through my teeth, putting on my I'm-trying-to-sound-nice voice that is quite higher than normal and makes me feel like I'm lying to the whole world. "Also, if you could please keep it down and save the arguments for when you leave, that would be great. I don't think anyone wants to hear how kinky your girlfriend is. It would be very appreciated by me and everyone else in the library."

"Hey man, you can go deal with that argument outside. I need to speak with Ms. Everly." Ah, my beloved Charlie. He is and always will be my best bud. Somehow he always managed to show up at the perfectly imperfect times.

The man then scoffed and walked off. It's nice, isn't it? There are some people who will act like middle schoolers too. I love the diversity in this library, but sometimes it can be a tad too much for me to handle.

"Thank you Charlie, you always show up at the most needed times," I sighed in relief. "You're tracking me, aren't you?" I chuckled humorously.

"You know me, I'm always watching you.." He said in a jokingly eerie tone that could convince me he was serious.

"I'm going to assume that your classes have been going well." I said.

Charlie has been taking classes for a few years now in Film and Acting. I was very proud of him for pursuing his dreams. He does a great job at it too. I never finished even my first semester for Journalism. I wanted for so long to be a writer, but I decided that I wanted to take things a bit more slow for myself and focus on everything else outside of a bubble of college kids getting drunk and obliterated all the time. I just wasn't ready. So here I am, still surrounding myself with the things I love most, but surely it's not where I want to be in the long run.

"You noticed, yeah?" He laughed. "So, side note.. Kimberly and I are gonna have a little party later tonight. Do you wanna come? It's super last minute so no pressure."

"I'll think about it. I'm kind of worn and torn today, customers have been a handful." I answered.

Charlie gave me a slightly concerned look. "Dahl, are you doing okay? You've been pretty out of it the past month.. I just wanna make sure everything is okay. You know I'm always here for you."

I've been so exhausted from work all week. I've been working overtime and my boss has been dumping cover shifts on me. I just really would love a break, and maybe this party would be good for me.. but honestly, I'd rather be home, in bed, curled up with a book, a sci-fi movie on for the mysterious background atmosphere. I've had this escape lately, all I've really been doing is living in a little figment of my imagination. Falling in-love with fictional characters from this ridiculously romantic book I've been reading.. the book was perfect for someone who had no love life and was a hopeless romantic, just like me. The man was beautifully sculpted, he had long luscious brown locks that framed around his upper body. He was the most romantic man I'd ever read about, bringing his maiden to a ball, so proper and polite, caring.. just to bend her over and fu-