Daikon and the Donut Boy (1)

Before anyone says anything, because I'm sure someone will, I have no clue who the person in the picture is. I found it in the reviews for the cosplay I bought and I thought it was funny so I screenshotted it. Anyway onto the story but make sure you've actually read the first book before reading this one because it might not make any sense otherwise. I should also mention that this story takes place a few years after the first, around 6-7 and both Yashiro and Amane are adults. Actually, they own a small flat (apartment) together :)) also yes they do sleep on the same bed what kind of weirdo dates someone lives with them and sleeps in a separate bed

———

Yashiro was standing at the counter of the little bakery, taking people's orders. She'd worked in this bakery for about a year now, and grew to really enjoy it.

While she was sorting the foods that were on display, she heard the sound of the bell above the door ringing, indicating someone had just come in. She walked back to the counter, and saw her best friend, Aoi, had walked in. The girls hair was done up in two pigtails, similar to the hairstyle she had in school, but proper pigtails.

"Nene-chan! I was hoping you'd be here!" She beamed, and Yashiro smiled.
"Aoi! Do you need something? Anything you want to buy?" Aoi waved her hand dismissively, and continued.
"No, I don't need anything, but you know how you told me about the duet you wanted to do with Yugi-kun a couple years ago?"
"How do you remember that?"
"Nevermind that, you never ended up doing that duet, why?"
"Oh, we just couldn't find a good mix between things we both enjoyed. We've been talking about trying again, but I don't know if it will work out this time."
"I thought of an idea!"
"What is it?"

Aoi paused, cleared her throat, and announced her big idea.
"What if you tried to become an idol?" She said, and Yashiro almost dropped the batch of cakes she was holding. After composing herself, she gave a small, nervous laugh.
"No, there's no way. I couldn't-! Amane-kun might have the skills for it, but I certainly don't."
"How do you know, though? You haven't even tried!"
"No, just no. I already get enough people coming up to me in the streets because they recognise me as Amane-kun's girlfriend since he's always posting pictures of us together, I don't want any more than that."
"It's not like anything bad would happen!"

Yashiro didn't respond, she simply sighed and continued fixing the display. This didn't do much, however, as Aoi kept pestering her.
"Come on, Nene-chan! You won't know unless you try! I mean, you managed to snag a famous idol as your boyfriend, so you should consider yourself pretty lucky!"
"Aoi-chan, I've already told you. Absolutely not. Also, can you please not refer to Amane-kun as that? You also went to school with him, and he has a name." Yashiro responded, now wiping the counter, attempting to stop herself from getting frustrated.
"I think it's a good idea though! It would make you two doing a duet easier, right?"
"How would it make doing a duet easier? We'd still go through the same issues we did the first time!"

Yashiro was still wiping the counter, though she was now more visibly irritated, wiping slightly faster than before.
"Nene-chan, you can't say it's a bad idea without even trying."
"I can. That logic is stupid. Example; murder? Bad idea! Jumping off a cliff? Bad idea! I don't need to try either of those to know they're bad ideas!"
"This isn't a bad idea, though! Just think, it'd be great for both of you!"
"Aoi-chan, listen to me."
"What?"

"Do you really think it's that easy? My boyfriend is an idol, so just tell me, do you think it's easy?" Yashiro said, giving Aoi a glare. Aoi wasn't sure what to say, so she gave a slightly confused glance, signalling Yashiro to continue.
"Amane-kun earns enough to pay for everything we need, our flat, car, everything. He earns enough to pay for all of that multiple times."
"What are you on about?"
"What I'm trying to tell you is that I didn't need to get this job, because we'd be more than fine money wise."
"And?"
"I got this job because it's not easy. When we made the decision to live together neither of us thought it would be easy but it's more difficult than either of us expected."
"How- how on earth does that work? Wouldn't this job make it more difficult?" Aoi asked, and Yashiro stopped what she was doing and looked Aoi in the eyes.
"I'm trying to tell you that I got this job because it makes it easier. Because of Amane-kun being an idol, a shockingly famous one at that, it means that most days he's busy with things like interviews or planning for concerts."
"I don't understand your point..." Yashiro was clearly slightly annoyed, but she sighed so it wouldn't be obvious.

"My point is that it's not easy because he's gone most of the week, most of the day. I don't see much of him even though we live together. Some of the times when he's come back he's been so tired that I hardly get to even speak to him because he's gone straight to bed. Other times, when he's not as tired, I still hardly get to speak to him because he's busy planning other things or trying to write new songs." Yashiro said, and Aoi wasn't really sure what to say, so she let Yashiro continue.
"I was an idol too, then the few times that me and Amane-kun do get to be together would be even more rare. It doesn't even matter if it's a weekend or not, he's busy Monday to Sunday. That's also why we haven't bought a house rather than a flat even though we can more than afford it. We haven't had the time to actually look for one. I got this job so I wouldn't have to be alone all day in that flat."

Yashiro took a deep breath, and looked at Aoi, who was staring at her. She hadn't thought about that part. Nobody does. Everyone sees the good parts of being an idol, but never the parts that aren't so fun.
"I didn't realise... sorry, Nene-chan. I'm sure it will work out, though! He won't be busy forever."
"What, like when we're at retirement age? Don't think I can wait that long."
"No! There will absolutely be times that he's not going to be busy."
"Don't know about that, but I'll trust your judgment on this."

———

Yashiro unlocked the front door, walking inside the flat that her and Amane owned together. It was around 8pm, though she didn't think Amane would be home. She walked inside, and just checked to see. Looking in each of the rooms, she wasn't surprised she was right. She didn't have anything else to do, so she decided to just watch a film and wait for him to come back.

She found the film, and sat on the sofa in front of the TV. Yashiro thought it would help distract her from the wait she knew would be long, but quickly realised the film she chose was a mistake. She hadn't payed much attention when she was picking it from the small selection of DVDs under the TV, but she'd chosen the film she'd watched with Amane at the cinema. "Startrain". The film was a few years old now, so there were more, but she remembered Amane saying that he didn't like them because they weren't as faithful to the books.

After awhile, Yashiro realised she was more tired from today than she'd expected, and felt herself falling asleep. She tried not to, so she could have at least a few minutes with Amane, but it wasn't working in her favour. Eventually, she fell asleep on the sofa.

———

Yashiro woke up after awhile, almost completely forgetting what had happened. She felt warmer than she did when she fell asleep, and slowly opened her eyes. To her surprise, she was met with the sight of Amane carrying her.

She was still half asleep, so she couldn't see him particularly well, but from what she could see, she could tell he looked incredibly tired. More tired than she'd ever seen him. Still, he had decided to carry her.

"Amane-kun?" Yashiro said, rubbing her eye. Amane looked at her, and gave a smile.
"Nice to see you're awake, Yashiro." He responded, attempting to hold back a yawn.
"Nice to actually see you for once." Yashiro responded, and Amane placed her down on their bed. It was still dark outside, so she could only assume how late it was.

"What time is it?" She said, watching as Amane laid down next to her.
"You don't wanna know. All I'll say is it's late."
"I gathered that. It's still dark. Besides, you look absolutely knackered."
"Do I?"
"Yeah. Particularly long day?"
"You could say that."