• 9 • The Trip to England

The Airplane will take off in five minutes from now. My joy knew no bounds. I have to clear my head from all these.

She was a pest who wouldn't stop but continue to eat all my happiness till I was nothing. That is the perfect description for a carnivorous animal like Lilian.

To think of it, I thought I had found a wife. What made her change? The love of money? I had learnt from my mistakes. I have always kept my expectations so high that I get disappointed everytime I am betrayed. "Sir, kindly strap your belt. The plane is about to take off" The Air hostess in her blue suit and skirt with a polite smile on her face said to me.

I strapped the belt over my waist and looked out through the window. I spotted a woman dragging her child towards the airport. He seemed very reluctant to go along with the mother. The microphone in the plane made a screeching sound drawing my attention. "Attention Passengers, It's 12am Nigerian Time, Emirates 205, Ready to take off. Kindly strap your belts safely and I wish you a safe trip to your destination. Thank you." I closed my eyes and drifted into sleep  as soon as  the plane took off. We landed safely at London Heathrow Airport after six and a half hours. It was night already. I checked the time "8:25pm"

  It was a long trip, a very tiring one at that. I remember waking up about two to three times to use the airplane's toilet. I walked into the airport with a number of airport official white folks smiling at me and welcoming me to England.

"Now where's this guy?" I thanked the white man who helped with my luggages and made for my phone to call Jeremy. Jeremy is my childhood friend and we have been buddies since secondary school until when he moved to England to continue his education. I will be stuck in his house for a number of days till I figure out what to do with my li- " Henrietta" I heard a deep baritone voice call out behind me. Only one idiot calls me that. "My man, you look so sick" A stupid smile planted on his face. He was claded in a brown jacket over a black T-shirt and Ash joggers with a pair of sneakers on. "You Fool....My name is Henry Guy. No dey call me Henrietta" I frowned at him handing him the biggest bags amongst my luggages. I knew he will be frowning like puff-puff. He ran with the load in his hand not before give me a hard punch and heading towards the parking lot where the car was parked. Typical  Jeremy. The  driver, a white man, claded in his suit and cap on his head helped with the luggages and put in the trunk of the car.  "Welcome to England, Mr Henry". He said to me as he made his way towards the driver's seat. The driver's seat was on the right side of the car unlike the left side  I was used to in Nigeria . Way to go with technology. Jeremy hopped in to the car and I followed suit. "If you see the kind food wey people dey chop for here. You go no say you dey suffer for Naija. 

"If you see patty burger ehn, he closed his eyes and tongue-licked his mouth demonstrating just how delicious it was. "Omo guy, if-  

"Guy, e don do nah. You have been in England for the past seven years and you don't act the least civilized. I cut him off as he was speaking.  " I am an English man. Don't mock me" he switched really quick to British Accent. I laughed heartily hearing him speak that way. I had really missed the vibes this guy gives effortlessly. One of the major qualities that made me befriend him in school.

The rest of the ride was eerily quiet as the driver  played some calm music that seemed to steal the atmosphere. Jeremy definitely got the message and kept quiet. There were so many Zebra Crossings, signs and mansions, eateries and companies. England was really a whole view at night time. The street light had this beautiful glow that made the road look like it was made from sparkles. It was that beautiful, I wouldn't lie. We got to Jeremy's house in about twenty minutes and I was already settling down in the house.

Everywhere was white in colour. It was a simple setting and those decorations hung above the walls  had this unique view. The only annoying thing is the house was in a messy state. Kudos to Jeremy . The living room and the kitchen were together.  From the living room to the kitchen and the rooms, everywhere, white.

"Guyy, go and baff now and come and cook something for yourself oh. I no cook anything". He said crossing his legs ro  " I don talk am. Your brain no dey ever work. Accept am" I said to him as I went into the kitchen to make something for myself.

"You will not come and teach me how to operate your gas cooker. I found some veggies at the corner of the kitchen, carrots, no, vegetables, no, Onions, Yes. I threw the biggest onion I could find at Jeremy's Head. In a flash, he turned and threw it back at me. I wish I saw that coming. It landed right on my forehead.

" Guyy naw, were you planning to murder me with that big onion? " He said sounding mad that I threw the onion at him. I was having a bad headache already. " Perfect way to welcome me to your house. I don dey have headache oh. You no go see your head tommorrow. Trust me on this one" That was how Jeremy ended up apologizing to me and we cooked noodles and chicken together. After, which we settled down to watch some football match. I have missed this guy. No cap.

Cut Henry Some  Slack
Everyone, at one time in their lives have to clear their heads and I feel so happy for Henry. He is moving on so good. And what can we say about Lilian? She can be a beast at times. But I still love her. She is a work of my art. I love my characters equally.

Vote 🌟

Comment 😊

And Share ❤️❤️