Impatients- part 3

Wide eyed, Will sat there as Mike figured out how to get into the vents. They had to find a way out of here, they were not supposed to be here. A bloody inpatient hospital, bet half of them aren't even mentally ill, like them.

Slowly, the plan came together and soon, the plan was hatched. Here, the boys sat in Mikes room, lights off now after Will escaped his room after lights out.
Will held the teddy bear close to him as he crawled in the space next to Mike. A soft space, a safe space. But Mike wasn't having it, he wanted to leave now.
"Wake up" he whispered to the small boy, holding the bear near him.
"Wake up, William", he shook him.

"Hm?" Will responded.

"It's time to leave. Bring the bear with you".

Seen as there was cctv in every corner, Mike had made sure that every one in his room was covered with some sort of blanket or overlay. So they had chance to escape through the vents.

In front of his vent, he balanced two chairs while having Will hold onto them.  "Be careful up there", he told him. Mike nodded.
Soon, the vent was open and free, Mike coughed at the dust as it came flooding through. He made sure it was wide enough for them to fit through, and he figured there was plenty of room for extra curricular activity in there.

He slowly came off the chair and hoisted Will on to them so he could climb in. Then eventually Mike decided to remove one chair and instead throw himself at Will.
"Ready?" He asked, eyes wide. He was unsure himself, but Will was ready with his hands.

Mike jumped and kicked the other chair back, Will pulled him up quickly and thankfully they made it in time. Mike quickly screwed the vent back on and raced in front of Will, leading the way. Good job they left when they did because that chair made a large commotion in their room. Nobody thought to check the vents.

The boys travelled what seemed like hours, until we ended up in the kitchen vent. This meant they were close to the exit.
Anticlimactic, I know. But they did reach the outside vent and squeezed through it, making a run for it down the green lane.
The hospital started to fade as they ran further into the woods, closing in on a highway.
Before they reached the road, the boys looked back at what they accomplished.
Mike took ahold of Wills hand and kissed it, before kissing the stunned boy. A small smile playing on both of their faces.

"We did it" Mike said. "We're finally free".

"But where do we go?" Will had asked. Unsure that this plan would still work.

"I hadnt thought that far?" Mike questioned himself. As he thought, the more clearer the plan came. "We will hitchhike and live out in some woods".

...

The boys bought some sheets and attached it to the trees. Will stood back as he admired his work, to which he named Castle Byers. This is where their home will be for the rest of their lives, Will thought, and he was happy with this option.

...

Sorry it's so anticlimactic.