THIS SUMMER

It is the beginning of summer break.

I am walking home from the last day of school. I should be happy however I know that this summer will be the same as the rest... extremely dull. The only thing that was keeping me entertained was my classmates. I am not fond of them; however, they do make me laugh sometimes. It's not like I don't have any friends, I just am not that close to them. So this summer, I will most likely be alone. Which is not that bad.

The walk home is long. The slight breeze, the sun burning in the sky. It is beautiful, but I have a habit of always looking at my feet when I walk and feel panicked when I don't. I don't know if it's a confidence thing, but I can't help but do it.

Enjoying my walk back from school, I hear sudden panting and rapid footsteps. I don't acknowledge it at first until it gets close, and I look up, I see a chest; someone falls on me. When I get my nose out of his chest, I see a guy around my age - about 16 or 17 - red from the heat. He backs away and apologizes in a rushed manner as he then hurries down the street. I am mesmerized by how someone could be that careless. I chuckle at the embarrassed face he was making. 

I continue walking to my apartment thinking of the person. He is unique; his voice is hoarse and low - from what I could hear - he leaves a floral scent behind. He has black hair; it looks like a short wolf cut that is messy, and thick eyebrows, not to mention the mole next to his bottom lip... he is handsome.

I can still see him in my mind; I am just curious as to who he is and where he is going. Was he late? Did he have a bus to catch? I realize I am never going to see him again, so I should just forget about him. He is just another stranger.

***

Summer is a time when friends can hang out and have fun. But I never go out in the summer; it is hot outside and noisy, so I prefer staying home with the occasional outings to the store.

I arrive at the front door a little hot from the heat. My mother is still at work and will only come back in 4 hours. I go into my room and change from my ridiculous school uniform into my comfortable clothes: grey shorts and a massive black t-shirt with my favorite band on it (Misfits).

After my change, I sit on my bed checking my phone and scrolling through TikToks. An hour has passed of endless procrastination, and I am hungry, so I go to get a snack. Checking my snack cabinet, I see that it's empty. I sigh, getting my bag and wallet, heading out to buy some more.

I walk to the bus stop and wait, getting a little nervous to use the bus. Waiting in the hot sun is bad, but the bus arrives quickly. Entering the almost empty bus, I sit down somewhere in the back of the bus, refreshed by the air conditioner in the bus. The bus makes a couple of stops when I hear that same low voice. "Hey, um, I recognized you from before. I want to apologize for bumping into you, I didn't even see if you were okay, so I'm sorry. Did you get hurt because of me?" His apologetic voice is cute.

"Oh, I'm okay; you didn't bump into me that hard. Thanks for the concern."

"That's a relief. I'm Henry, by the way."

"I'm Ethan."

"Oh, this is my stop," says Henry. I look back at where we are.

"Oh, same. Where are you headed?" We make our way off the bus.

"Ah, yes...I'm headed to the store at the corner."

"oh cool I'm going to see my aunt It's her birthday and she makes this amazing cake. Well, see you soon, hopefully." I nod and turn in the direction of the store.

In the distance, I hear my name. I turn around and see Henry running back towards me, his face bright red once again as he approaches me.

"Hey, can I get your number? I know it's super weird, and we only just met, but you seem like a cool dude, and I sorta wanted to hang out more, if you're cool with it, of course."

"Uh, yeah, sure. I'd love to."

What the hell is happening!!

"KK! See you later."

 I stare blankly. WTF, how can someone be so cute and friendly, I even got his number!!