8

"You have been angling for the Champion's League all along!" Headmaster Kim jumped out of the chair and paced as far and the small office allowed.

"But Uncle how can anyone my age aim so high?" Junseo shook his head. "This was my first shot at the government examinations after all," he tried to reason but it had little effect.

"You made the cut." His uncle said in a strangled voice. "You more than made the cut. You will be in the first tier of the qualifiers even though you are only sixteen."

"I am not sure I remember how the tiers are determined. What does it mean exactly?" The Investigator wanted confirmation since the headmaster seemed distressed.

"The second tier will have scored in the top half of the exams but not in the top twenty percent. They can choose to start their mandatory military service or continue their studies. A few might go through preliminary tournaments to try get an open spot at the official qualifier. Anyone in the first tier, or top twenty percent on the exams can go to straight a college or university. They are automatically screened into the qualifying rounds for the Champion's League. Junseo is the only student at the school who made the first tier this year."

"That's good, isn't it? It means you will stay to train." There was a bit of a plea in Tai Yi's voice.

"I will certainly stay but I don't know where you are going to stay. We surely can't go back to our room tonight," Junseo looked expectantly at his uncle but was answered by the Investigator.

"The Psyonan Lord Presumptive has been invited to stay in a suited of rooms in the East Wing of the Palace. We will arrange for his things to be transferred and he will study with the royal tutors for the time being."

Tai Yi nodded glumly at the offer. He was not surprised at the outcome only disappointed he could not stay with his new friend. Junseo read the situation in a glance.

"I understand you have to take measures to improve his safety but do you think it might be alright if I came and stayed with him from time-to-time. Starting say, tonight?" Junseo knew he might be pushing things and that staying in the palace was the last thing he should be doing but it just felt right to stay with the younger boy.

The Palace Inspector gave Junseo a hard look but before he could say anything so Headmaster Kim jumped in.

"Can anyone be doubting my nephew's loyalty?" He was starting to get his back up at the thought.

"No, I am very grateful for his offer," the Investigator said firmly and then turned to Junseo, "Is there anything you will need?"

"Just a change of cloths. Oh, and volume two of the Great Sage's Cantos. It should still be in the senior student's lounge. I have to brush up for a recitation tomorrow."

"I will lend you my volume," his uncle surprised him with this offer and then rushed off to retrieve the volume.

The two boys were soon bundled into a carriage. They both still wore bloodied school uniforms and carried book bags on their laps. It was only after they were underway Junseo remembered the incriminating papers still tucked into the binding of his design book. He was lucky it was with him and not uncovered by the investigators searching their room. He worried about the check at the palace gate but it was perfunctory.

When they arrived at the assigned apartment the guard detail made them remain in the carriage while they searched the place. The guards then indicated they would remain at the entrances to the suite all night.

Inside the lush accommodation there were just two servants to help the boys get cleaned up and served a light meal. Tai Yi's new tutor stopped by to meet him and promised to be back to guide him around the next day. Even though both boys were very tired, they were tense being in a strange place after the afternoon's events.