11.

"I don't know, I mean sure Namida is cute, but like her voice is kind of annoying," Iwabe commented and all the boys chuckled to themselves in silent agreement. It was Sunday evening and Boruto and his friends were lounging around in Inojin's loft. Each had a screen in front of them as they continued to gossip about the girls in their class.

"Who the hell is this mystery girl you're texting all the time, Mitsuki?" Inojin asked, glancing away from his game on the tv for a moment to shoot their friend an incredulous look.

A smile stretched across his lips. "You probably wouldn't believe me even if I told you."

"You could always just lie and say her name is Autumn... since you met her in autumn!" Inojin said before bursting out laughing at his own joke. Iwabe turned his head to conceal his own chuckles.

"Ha. Ha." Boruto fake laughed at the jest at his summer fling.

Shikadai's teal gaze flickered over to Boruto, who was sunken into a giant bean bag chair with his attention on his handheld. He had prompted this conversation in hopes of opening the floor for Boruto to share his secret about Sarada, but his best friend had hardly even uttered a peep.

Maybe he needed to be more direct.

"Yo, Boruto."

"What's up?" he responded without looking up from his game.

"Someone told me Sarada dragged you out of the classroom the other day during lunch. What happened?" Shikadai pressed. From what he had heard about the situation it made literally no sense that they ended up making out on the roof.

"Oh yeah!" Inojin chimed in. "Did she take you to the principal's office? Man, I bet your mom was pissed."

"Oh... uh, no actually she just pulled me aside to yell at me like she does. I mean, I barely even listened beyond her trying to accuse me of bullying her," Boruto shrugged. "It was so lame."

Shikadai's jaw clenched at that response. He could hardly believe Boruto lied to them so easily. It begged the question: how long had he been lying about this?! What else was he hiding from them?! From him?!

He and Boruto were supposed to be best friends and he just lied to his face!

In that moment, Shikadai decided a change of strategy was in order. "You know, I think Sarada is actually, like super hot," he said casually.

Boruto's smile fell as his perturbed blue gaze shot over to Shikadai, his game all but forgotten. "I mean, I guess if you like prissy know-it-alls, then sure," he commented between clenched teeth.

"I think I'm going to ask her out."

"Why!?" Boruto shouted. His cheeks colored with embarrassment as all his friends turned to stare at him for his seemingly unwarranted volume.

Shikadai raised a challenging eyebrow. "Do you have a problem with that, Boruto?"

He clenched his fists, struggling to keep his expression neutral. "Nope, do whatever you want."

*****

Boruto was rummaging through his locker on Monday afternoon when a particularly shy looking Sarada approached him. A smile spread across his lips at the rosy hue on her cheeks.

The way she bit her lip made Boruto secretly hope she had a naughty request for him. Ever since they resumed their... whatever they had, their after school activities had been even more adventurous.

Sarada looked up from the book she was holding against her chest, finally finding the courage to meet his gaze, and whispered, "um, why did Shikadai just ask me out on a date?"