1

"Emma? Emma!" "Emma," Harry says as he nudges my ribs and I yelp. "What?" "Mr Carr has called your name twice, he's asking you what the answer to question 6 is." Harry tells me. "Um... is it 21?" "Incorrect, again" Mr Carr says sternly. "See me after class, would you Emma?"

The bell rings and the class files out as quickly as they can, not wanting to be in Mr Carr's presence any longer than they have to (which is totally understandable, I hate maths as much as the next person). Harry mouths "Good luck" as he walks out the door.

"So, I wanted to talk to you because I'm worried about you, you're grades have dropped considerably recently and you always seem distracted in class. Is everything okay at home?" I sigh. Mr Carr has asked me this almost every week, and every time I say the same thing, "Yes, couldn't be better," with the biggest smile I can muster. And he always says the same thing back, "Great, let me know if anything changes." (Clearly neither of us want to talk about my personal life and he's probably just asking because he has to).

The truth is, everything isn't okay at home. In fact, things at home are the worst they've ever been. My dad is always working, my mum is always crying or locking herself in her bedroom and, during the little time they do spend together, they always fight.

So no, things are not good.

"Thanks for talking with me, Emma. See you next week." I mutter a bye and walk out the door. Then I walk home in the rain (I forgot to bring an umbrella, like always).

author note: hey guys, if you want me to keep adding to this story just give it a star and i'll keep writing it :))