three: nothing new

"Do write frequently," Mrs. Weasley said as Hermione pulled out of a hug with her. "I want to hear from you as well."

"I promise," Hermione said with a smile. The sun had set, engulfing the station in a dull blue glow. Ginny was standing behind her, ready as ever to aboard the train. Hermione was grateful for not being the only one departing, and the only one to return to Hogwarts. They would both be going into their seventh-year.

"We'll write too," Harry assured her. "Let you know how it's all going with the program. And we'll visit whenever we can."

"Thank you, Harry."

Ron gave her an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry for not coming," he murmured in her ear as they hugged. Hermione squeezed him tighter. "I'll really miss you." When they separated, Hermione gave his cheek a quick kiss before seizing her trunk and stepping away from him.

"Thank you all for being so hospitable," she said, smiling at Bill, Fleur, and Charlie who had also come to see their sister and Hermione off.

"Oh, nonsense. You're family like any other," said Mrs. Weasley. "Now go on before I start crying." Ginny grabbed Hermione's arm and both girls walked over to the train, where a porter assisted them in boarding their trunks. They found seats where they could see the Weasleys and Harry waving at them through the window and bid their last goodbyes before the train began to move.

***

When the thestral-drawn carriages came to pick them up, Hermione felt weird not having Harry and Ron by her side, but thankfully Ginny made up for it. She talked a lot. More than usual. She talked about anything and everything, pointing out the crumbling bridge of the castle, how she was decidedly not going to try out for Quidditch this year, thrusting her finger upwards and shouting "Sirius!" when she noticed the brightest star in the sky right above them.

Hermione thought it was painful at first. But when they'd all hopped off the carriage and Ginny had found some of her friends, leaving Hermione in silence, Hermione wanted to be on the carriage again, maybe even forever.

More students had returned to retake their seventh year than Hermione had expected. In the growing crowd at the entrance of the castle, she recognized Luna Lovegood embracing Ginny, and Cho Chang, and, much to her dread, the sharp face of Draco Malfoy. Hermione wished Ron and Harry were with her, so she could cling onto their arms to remind herself she wasn't alone.

The Great Hall was warm compared to the Autumn chill outside. If Hermione didn't know there had been a battle right here, she wouldn't have thought it looked any different. In fact, it almost looked exactly the way it did when Hermione walked in those oak doors for the first time. It was slightly strange to see Professor McGonagall standing on the stage instead of Dumbledore but Hermione tried to push away the discomfort. She quickly found an empty seat next to Ginny and the two girls grinned excitedly to each other as McGonagall began a speech.

The Sorting ceremony did not take too long and Hermione noticed for the first time that night how few students were occupying the Great Hall. It saddened her deeply, but the ones who were present looked as though they were going to make this their best year yet. They sang, and ate, and chattered away, bringing life to the atmosphere. Hermione herself didn't have much of an appetite that night. She twirled her fork in a bowl of spaghetti and listened to Ginny and Cho's observations on all the new teachers. Professor Daphrose was the cutest, Madam Sideris looked like a firm disciplinarian, and wow, Slughorn had lost a significant amount of weight.

After dinner, Malfoy sought out Hermione in the exodus of students leaving the Great Hall to their respective common rooms. She'd stiffened up when their gazes met and she could practically feel the discomfort that lingered in the air around them when he approached her. He simply held out an envelope and muttered "it's from McGonagall" before turning around and stalking away.