15.

"We don't have much time," said Elena, looking to her side where Kol, sitting in shotgun was rifling through a thick grimoire.
"We'll be just in time, love. No need to fret. Just take us to the old witch house, the sight of massacre. And everything will be a piece of cake from there."he smiled mischievously.
"What if Dahlia senses us?"she voiced one of her many worries.
"I'm all prepared for my wretched aunt."he said fishing out a dark colored bracelet.
"Another one of your inventions?"she said picking it out from his hands.
"It can stop the tracking of magic. On second thoughts, should have given it to Hope."he added frowning.
"Dahlia already knows where Hope is. It wouldn't have done much."she figured, taking the turn towards Mystic Falls.
"We might run into some of your old friends. You sure you don't want to wait somewhere else?"he asked, just to be sure.
"We need to get sure of the spell as soon as possible. I can't be sitting ducks just for a stupid reason."she frowned, revving up the speed, taking the uneven pathway towards the old witch house.
Parking at a distance, they got out of the car and speeded towards the dilapidated structure and went to the inner rooms.
"I'm surprised they didn't stop you at the door way."she commented, as he opened the grimoire to the correct page.
"You mean they didn't stop us, darling. Well, they want to,"he said chuckling.
"But they recognize the magic in us. They are kind of bound to help us and who can resist to saving a drooling 8 month old child's life."he said, taking out a sharp dagger.
"May I?"he asked holding out his left hand.
He pricked her right forefinger sharply, squeezing out three drops before the wound sealed itself.
"Now what?"she asked.
"Now we see."he said, holding her palm as he started chanting something in old language.
It felt like a pull in her chest, at first. Then they were speeding up very fast. Faster than what she was used to. And it all stopped after a few seconds and she opened in her eyes.
It all looked hazy and it definitely did not look like they were in the old witch house anymore.
The place looked old. As if they were back in time.
"Come on. It's this way,"said Kol, breaking her train of thought as he took off in one direction.
"Where are we?"she asked.
"Mystic Falls. But we are back in time,"he answered looking back at her as she followed him suit.
"You were born here,"she said looking around at the empty grounds. The houses were old fashioned, carved from large stones and wood.
"Is this a projection or your memory that-"she started.
"It's a memory. Just not his."said a voice to their left.
It was Ayana.
She could recognize the features that had been passed down the Bennett line. Same eyes, features and of course the determined strength in those bones.
"Well well. Was hoping to run into you."chuckled Kol, walking towards Ayana and coming to a stop slightly in front of her?
It seems like she wasn't the only one who noticed.
"You can put your guard down. I will not hurt her,"said Ayana gesturing at his rigid posture.
"Do forgive me for being in alert. It seems like wherever we go everyone wants to have a bit of the doppelgänger."he shrugged.
"Ask away, what you want to."she said, entering back into the cavernous structure behind her.
"You do know why we are here right?"he said guiding Elena inside as if he knew his way inside this place, having spent lots of time here it seemed.
Ayana must have caught on to her curious expression for she spoke up.
"Out of all the Mikaelson siblings, he was the most inclined towards magic. Had the best of abilities too. Has, probably, given the current circumstances."she said with a grim expression.
"I'm flattered. Am I still a hot talk among your dead folks?"he chuckled, his higher than average narcissism getting the best of him.
"Fret not. Nature desires balance and will demand for it in time."she said with a serene smile.
"So you do know why we are here?"interrupted Elena looking at her.
"You have come to know whether young Freya's spell will be successful or not. Correct?"she said, twirling the contents of a bowl with a wooden spoon.
"See for yourself."she said, inclining her head towards the bowl.
And they looked as the Vikings razed down villages and people as Esther and Dahlia struggled to live in those barbaric conditions.
Dahlia trying to come into terms that her sister didn't need her anymore. Her anger, grief and vengeance.
"We have got the wrong person's blood."whispered Elena, still looking at the scene where Esther was giving away Freya.
"It was never Freya. It's my mother."said Kol.
"We have to go. Now."urged Elena, pulling him away from there as Ayana grabbed her hand.
"Before you go, Elena, we, witches have a message for you."she said as it dawned to her where this was going. Again.
"Well, we don't have time for that. There's a child that needs saving."she said, but it was Kol who stopped her this time.
"What is it? And Gods help me if it's that bloody Sil-"he said, angry.
"It isn't Silas. You may have heard this a lot, but your compassion is a gift, Elena. Don't lose it. But you should also know, that the bond of a family is the strongest above all."she started as she felt Kol's grip tighten on her wrist.
"The Mikaelsons are a dangerous lot and at the end of the day, count on a Mikaelson to look out for their own. Leave when you can, for there are perilous times ahead."she said looking at their entwined hands.
"Nice talk, Ayana."ground out Kol, pulling her away from the room, as she felt the familiar rushing sensation again as it engulfed her and a beat later they were again standing in the musty room of the old witch house.
"We should go,"said Elena looking at the watch, which should 3.27 PM.
"What she said-"started Kol, siphoning away any traces of magic from the surface. No one should know that someone had performed magic, specifically using the doppelgänger's blood, that is.
"Later. We have other things to worry about."said Elena, dialing Elijah's cellphone which appeared busy, just like Rebekah's and Hayley's.
"What the!"she cursed as they speeded towards the car as he took the driver's seat this time.
"Anyone?"he asked, getting into the road as she shook her head, trying Marcel this time. She had even tried texting which wasn't getting delivered, it seemed.
"Why isn't anyone picking up?"she groaned, cutting off the call to Camille which was ringing but no one picked up.
"It must be Dahlia. Write it out on paper,"said Kol, indicating at the glovebox.
"We can send a message,"he said as she wrote the message in the piece of paper.