A Different Path - Part Two

Elias groaned as he heard his door creek open and small footsteps cross the floor. He waited for the bed to shift. Two small bodies climbed onto his bed. Without words he shot his arms out and wrapped one around each of his four year old cousins. If you boiled it down to family he only had seven cousins, that of his Aunt Samantha and Uncle Alex. However, growing up as the son of the Dragon General, any Dragon's family was like his own.

"He's got us!" Anastacia giggled as she tried to free herself.

"I'll save you!" Deion said, trying to help his cousin free herself.

Anastacia scoffed. "Daddy says I don't need no man saving me. I'll do it myself," she said, pulling free of Elias's hold and jumping onto his stomach.

Elias grunted as her body crashed into his. His eyes opened to see Anastacia laying with her elbows on his chest staring up at him while Deion had freed himself and sat crisscross beside him. "And what pray tell brings you two in so early?" he asked.

"Aunty Freya, mommy and the littles went to see baby Hope," Deion said.

"And we didn't want to go," Anastacia added.

"So we were going to run the obstacle course with the rest," Deion continued.

"But we changed our minds," Anastacia said.

"Uncle Erik said you didn't have much to do today," Deion added.

"So he told Uncle Kole and daddy that you could watch us," Anastacia ended.

Elias sighed, connecting all the dots. He loved his cousins, but their energy first thing in the morning for who knows how long could be draining. His father was smart when it came to punishments. He knew what each child dreads most and used it. Elias sat up knocking Anastacia into Deion. "You two head to the living area. I'll get changed and meet you down there in a moment," he said, shooing the two four year olds out. Once he was dressed he made his way downstairs. Anastacia and Deion had found the blocks that Uncle Aaron had made for him when he was about their age. He watched for a moment to make sure they were behaving before peeking his head into his father's office. "How long am I on double trouble duty?" he asked.

Erik looked up from his desk with a smile. "They found you already?" he asked, laughing as Elias yawned and nodded. "Until lunch. The women are spending time at the castle with Sam. James and Kole need a bit of time to train without those two. The olders can manage but we all know what happens when double trouble goes unsupervised," he said.

"I'll keep them busy until then," Elias said, then turned and walked back into the living room where each four year old had built a wall and were now preparing to throw the jacks as projectiles at one another. "How about we go brush some of the horses," he called, before they could start the attack. The two quickly dropped the jacks and ran for the door. Elias sighed as he jogged after them. It was going to be a long morning.

At lunch Elias was more than ready when Anastacia and Deion spotted their fathers and took off for them. James grinned as Elias followed the two little ones. "Have a rough day?" he asked.

Elias shook his head. "I don't get how you can have six children and still have a brain at the end of the day," Elias said as he fell in line with his uncle as they walked towards the dining area.

"Well when he's just as much a child as the children it isn't that hard," Rowen said walking up. "I really pity Freya who has to deal with all seven children."

James rolled his eyes at Rowen's comment.

After lunch Elias found his way back to his father's office. He knocked and entered. "My charges are back in the care of their fathers. Do you have something else I need to do?" he asked.