Prologue

"Lizzie, where are you going?!" I hear a familiar voice call out for me but I just keep running. I look back to see Josie chasing after me but I can't get myself to stop. The fear in my body has complete control over me. No matter how hard I try to get myself to stop I just can't.

I can hear Josie screaming in frustration not knowing whether she wanted to be mad at me or sympathetic. I hated how quickly I could go from being happy and fine to crying over something so little, so insignificant. I hated how just thinking about a past memory for just a moment caused me more pain than if someone were to stab a knife into my chest.

But this wasn't something little. This was something that was going to take away any chance I have at happiness or even a future at that.

"Lizzie for the love of god—JUST STOP!!!" Her voice echoed throughout the woods, startling me. The birds nearby quickly flew away. A herd of deer ran in the opposite direction of us. But me? I just fell and tripped into a fucking puddle of dirty water. "Ew."

This was where the wolves came to...bathe...during the full moons. Which ironically was tonight. I hated being out during the full moons because I always manage to run into the same red-headed, short, and obnoxious girl every time.

And just as that thought crossed my mind I hear something rustling behind me.

"I swear to god—" I turn around to see a white wolf slowly creeping out of a bush baring its teeth at me.

"You have got to be kidding me

"You have got to be kidding me." I groaned.

Josie finally caught up to me and she looked over at the wolf in front of us. She reached her hand towards her necklace and as she was about to siphon the magic from it I slapped her hand down. I knew exactly who that was.

"Hope Andrea Mikaelson."

She growled at me and I faintly smiled at her, mascara dripping down my face and my eyes swollen and red. She backed up into the bush maintaining eye contact with me. I crossed my arms before rubbing them up and down to try to get rid of my goosebumps.

I heard bones starting to crack back into place and then shuffling through the leaves. A few minutes later she came out of the bush completely clothed but with mud all over her face. I watched as she tried to rub off the residue from her face. Even with mud on her face she still managed to look g—ew. I stopped myself from going down that train of thought. The Hope train ends here right now.

She looked back up at me and I could see a fake smile about to form on her face but I stopped her before she could. "I'm curious. How do you get rid of your dog hair from the bed when you wake up in the mornings?" She pursed her lips together before frowning at me. She sighed in annoyance, "I'll see you guys at school tomorrow."

"You're not even gonna ask why we're in the woods?!" I shout at her as she walks away with her gray sweater in her hands. Josie rolled her eyes at me. I knew she didn't like the way I treated Hope but I had every reason to. She completely ruined my life.

"You could at least pretend to be nice to her." She pouted. "Ugghhhh," I groaned. "Never ask me to do something like that again." I walk away dragging my feet through the mud. "Can we at least talk about what happened then?" It didn't take her very long to switch the subject back to me and any other time, and under different circumstances, I probably would've lunged at the chance to talk about myself.

But there was nothing I hated more than opening up about my feelings.