Chapter 1 | What the Hell is She Doing Here?

5 hours earlier

Coach Donovan blew his whistle and the whole team gathered around him. Why is the town's sheriff also a football coach? Well, my dad originally asked Damon Salvatore to be the coach but he just laughed at him and walked away so Matt Donovan was his second option. He was quarterback back when he was in high school so it worked out either way considering we haven't lost a game in years. Mostly thanks to the team's very talented quarterback.

"Lizzie Saltzman," Coach Donovan called out, "our team's QB1 for the last two years." I smiled at the subtle praise until I felt a nudge on my left arm. "What is it, Jo?" I whispered as Coach Donovan continued on with his speech. His words slowly became muffled. "Can't you see that I am in the middle of receiving the praise that I deserve for carrying this team on my back the last two years?"

Josie was tugging on my arm as I heard someone drop their bag in the direction she was fixated on. It didn't take long for me to figure out whose black bag, with an M symbol engraved into it with gold stitching, had plopped onto the grass right next to my blue bag with the Salvatore School's logo and my name signed at the bottom.

"You have got to be kidding me," I groaned, loud enough for everyone to hear. No longer caring about keeping quiet to avoid interrupting our coach's speech.  "Sorry I'm late, Coach Donovan," she apologized with her blue eyes that always looked sad and hollow.

"What the hell is she doing here?" I turned to our coach who looked nervous at the blatant irritation in my voice

"What the hell is she doing here?" I turned to our coach who looked nervous at the blatant irritation in my voice. Josie grabbed my clenched hand and opened my palm where red marks from my nails had appeared. Any second longer and I would have had to take another trip to the nurse's office. Coach Donovan cleared his throat. "Hope will be joining our team as the opposing team's QB1."

He turned to me and me only, "I expect you, girls, to play nice and remember the rules: No tackling, no blocking--absolutely no contact is allowed." He called half of our team to the other side of us until there were at least 5 people on both teams. On my team were Josie, Milton Greasley, and Kaleb Hawkins. On Hope's team were the most insufferable, most unbearably annoying people on the face of the earth. First is Josie's evil ex, Penelope Park, next to my childhood nemesis Alyssa Chang and her idiotic boyfriend, Jed. And some werewolf named Flinch or something. Or maybe it's Fitch? I'm not exactly sure but Josie has been crushing on her since she got here.

Weird. I could never see myself dating a werewolf. I prefer my bed to not have dog hairs lying around.

We all just stood there across from each other, not saying a single word. Josie watched me as I crossed my arms and stared Hope down. She didn't react to my fixated stare at her. She was too busy trying to plot my team's demise. But if anyone was going down, it was going to be her.