Chapter Eight

"Gerard! Let me down, please, they're right behind us!"

So here I am, struggling against Gerard, the threatening sirens having stopped.

They stopped because, well... the Identity Takers are directly behind us.

"Lynx? What are you talking about? Nobody is-" Gerard still looks and sounds frantic, and doesn't seem to notice.

"Let me down, and look for yourself! We have to go!" I point behind Gerard's shoulder.

As soon as he turns to look, he sets me down immediately and starts to run. I, of course, take off after him.

"I told you!" I shout to Gerard whilst running. When I look over my shoulder, I can see the blue and green lights. They're chasing us now.

"Now is not the time, Lynx," He mutters, then adds a remark. "And don't you think I knew that?"

"Knew what?" I ask. "You knew that they were tailing us?"

"Of course I did! I just..." He pauses to take a breath. "I just pretended I didn't."

I scoff. "Yeah, suuure you did."

"I-I'm serious." Gerard presses.

"Yeah, sure, I totally believe-"

Gerard shoves me to the right and I go stumbling, almost falling to the ground.

"What the heck was that for!?" I gasp, searching for breath and my footing.

"I had to find a way to get you to shut up and go the way I wanted you to go," Gerard shrugs. "Now follow me." He leads me around a corner and into another dark alleyway. I think I can hear yelling behind us.

"You hear that? You think they're onto us?" I shout, barely keeping up with how fast Gerard is twisting and turning around the corners.

"Uh... hard to say," He looks behind him briefly. "Best not to think about it."

"But what if they-"

"Just follow me and keep your mouth shut." Gerard snaps.

He ducks down to the ground. I'm not sure at first, when I stop and crouch beside him- then I know exactly what he's doing right away.

"The sewer! We're actually going down into the sewer." I take in a deep breath. Maybe I'll get to get back to my area and collect my supplies... or maybe we can even stay down there.

"Yeah," Gerard slowly pushes the heavy lid away. "But don't get any stupid ideas. We're just staying down here until the cops pass."

My heart drops. "Oh... okay."

Gerard climbs down into the sewer and I follow him. The light plunges into an almost completely pitch-black darkness. I can hear the heavy sound of the hatch being closed. The smell, is all too familiar. That same gross, dusty smell that stays heavy in your lungs. A small clicking sound erupts, and then there's a sudden brightness.

"This should be good enough." Gerard says, holding his lighter (the thing he most obviously created the light with) up to the ceiling.

I sigh and lean up against a nearby wall. "So, we're just gonna stay in here?"

He leans against the wall beside me, making sure the lighter still obtains the light. "Yes, like I just said- until the cops pass."

"So, until it's pretty much quiet?" I can still hear the faint sounds of the yelling and sirens.