Chapter Twenty-Seven

Arabela

Two weeks has passed and I was lucky I was still alive. His death took its toll on me and I was grieving. I even got mad with my parents when they told me to just let it go and move on. I decided to shut them out.

This week was hell for me because aside from me having headaches I always had an upset stomach making me rush to my bathroom every once in a while.

One time Nina was in my room, I usually lock myself in the room and just sitting there thinking, sleeping, crying then eating when she brings food. I did not want somebody to talk to aside from Nina.

"Arabela... When was the last time you bled?" Nina asked while stroking my back gently. I got up then sat on the chair beside my window.

I haven't bled for a month now.

My heart stammered then I looked at Nina, she just smiled tight with understanding eyes.

"Do you want to go to the town doctor tomorrow to make sure?" She asked me.

"Do I have to Nina? I don't want my parents to know. Yet." I explained.

"I understand, how about we go to a friend of mine who is a midwife? We won't tell your parents." She suggested and I nodded.

"Thank you Nina. I like to stay alone right now."  I asked her.

"You sure dear?" She asked back and I nodded, so she left the room with a squeeze in my shoulder.

There was a chance I was pregnant, the thought overwhelmed me.

I was pregnant with his child, we had created a life inside of me. For over a few days this was the first time I felt happy. Happy that he left me something to live for, he left me a piece of him. I started to cry again holding my stomach, promising to myself to protect my child at all cost.

A glint of a promised future woke my soul, I now have a purpose. I was going to be a mother, but first I have to talk with my parents about some matters.

After calming myself and fixed myself to be presentable I made my way to my fathers office, surprised to see them both there, my father and mother. This would be the first time I would speak to them properly since I dismissed them when I was grieving for my husband and they told me to just let it go.

"Arabela, sweetheart. How are you?" My father's concerned voice said then my mother came forward and pulled me in a hug.

"Oh darling, I missed you. How do you feel?" My mother asked scanning my face.

"I feel fine mother, I have a question to ask." I said directly going to my point. My mother ushered me to sit beside her.

"What do you know of the pact father? Of the highlands and you? What exactly is that?" I asked my father eyeing him.

He knew one day I would ask since shock was not drawn in his face, my mother's gaze turned to worry though.

"What have they told you sweetheart?" My father questioned.

"Nothing much father, only that the chieftain's highland son is to be married to your only daughter for peace." I explained and looking at him.

He sighed, "They forced us sweetheart, you know how savage those people were, they were into killing people who walked their paths. It was a miracle they kept you alive." My father explained in spite and I wanted to lash out at him and defend the highlanders they were never like that! I pursed my lips and just nodded.

"Were you married to him? Did they force you?"

"No." I lied.

A wide smile spread in his face, "I knew that devil would not resist your charm when you say no, so have you had him wrapped around your finger? Why hasn't he killed or wounded you yet?" My father asked more, his eyes different from what I knew him to be before.

"Darling please, don't scare her." My bother joined in.

"He did not hurt me at all, father. Instead they treated me well." I said.

He scoffed, "That would be impossible! How could they? They killed your grandfather Arabela, they killed him, I sought for revenge that's why they found me in that crappy lowland town, they threatened me and your pregnant mother, that is why we left that town, they promised not to kill any of the lowlanders if we promise you to his son."

No that was not possible. His father killed my grandfather? But why are they allies with the lowland town that father labeled as crappy?

"So Arabela, get that sick murderer out of your head, he's dead anyway and you killed him." My father pointed out.

I swallowed a lump in my throat.

He was not my father, I felt he was lying, I felt in my heart that was not the case, I should have asked Connor before but I always ended up forgetting since I was already happy with him.

"Juan!" My mother raised her voice.

"Go back to your rom and rest hija." My mother said as her face contorted in anger.

I simply stepped out of the room and went to mine.

It was true I killed him, and even though if his father killed my grandfather I would not care. I still loved him even death, I suddenly felt telling them I was pregnant was not a wise choice.

Right now, I wanted to run away from here. I wanted to go to Agatha and Elena, but I wondered hard if they would still accept me if I had killed his son. I cried at the thought. But I couldn't stay here if it was true I was pregnant.

Later after lunch, Nina told me we can go since my parents were busy at their office. She told them we would go by the beach. I quickly put on a hooded cape to lessen attention, I was gone for over a year and probably news would spread of my return but I did not want that attention.

"Your father is preparing a party for you next month, for your return." Said Nina while we walked to her friend.

I decided to change the topic.

"Where did he wound you Nana?" I instead asked and she raised her armsleeve, a long cut scar was visibly seen.

I saw her wince and shiver, bit I understood what she felt.

"Thank you for showing me." I said then we continued.

A little while, we reached a house on the outskirts of town. They both greeted each other and introduced me to her.

"You are pregnant child, you are three weeks away, you have to take good care, since there is a great chance you can have a miscarriage." The woman explained and I felt more nervous than ever. Its true, I have a child growing inside me.

"Oh nana." I cried, but happy tears, this was the second time I cried that I was happy.

"We have to tell your parents." Nina said.

"No!" I objected hard. I saw her taken aback by my tone.

"I'm sorry nana but I can't tell them, please. Promise me, you won't tell them." I begged her and she nodded in defeat.

"I promise Arabela, they won't know yet, but it will soon grow. You must think about it still." She smiled at me. I just let out a tight smile. I can't tell her yet, that I have a plan to leave.

We thanked the woman and then left her home.