Broken Flowers

I headed down to the city again since I had nothing to do. As I passed the baker's, I wondered if I should get a job in the city, but most of my time disappeared by being Sebastian's unofficial helper. He did ask if I wanted to help him out officially, but I declined since they had a dress code. Sakura might look gorgeous in maid's outfit, but I wasn't risking it. I shivered just at the thought of it.

Vlad stood off to the side with his flower cart. He hadn't seen me yet I think, but there was a young boy who was looking at the flowers, his eyes scrunched in concentration. Vlad looked like a kind, young, decent man as he leaned over to help the kid choose, but it was the kid who interested me more. His eyes were blue, and his black hair was unruly. But most of all, familiarity radiated from him. Not in the way a street or the sky was familiar, but the way a home was, the familiarity of something that loved you, of something you loved.

The kid turned as if he felt me, and we stood staring at each other through the bustle of noise in the city; I walked over to him.

"Miss, have we met before?" he asked, turning away from the cart.

I shook my head. "Not a chance. I haven't been in the city for very long." My gaze on him was scrutinizing as I took in the torn clothes he wore.

"You seemed familiar," he said, looking back to the flowers.

"I thought the same," I said softly.

Vlad looked like the situation amused him. "He was picking out flowers to give to his mom."

"Oh?"

"I want to give her something so she'll love me." The boy brushed a hand over a rose, stopping just short of a thorn.

I started. Something was very wrong with that statement. I walked over to Vlad's flowers and ran through their names in my head. Lily of the valley, bluebell, rose, jonquil...

"I desire a return of affection," I said, gesturing to the jonquil. "If that's what you wish to say, those flowers should convey it."

Vlad looked to the boy, who nodded. Vlad picked up the flowers and began to spin a bouquet, and the child turned to me. "Miss, what's your name?"

"Aylin Lisha," I said. "But call me Lin. What are you called?"

"Seren Noel! I'm nine years old."

"And I'm nineteen," I said amused, as Vlad handed him the bouquet. He took off, stopping to turn and wave. "Bye Lin!"

I raised a hand in farewell as he ran down the street, weaving through pedestrians. Nine years old, but he seemed so small. "Why did he seem so familiar?"

Vlad hummed, and I turned to look at him. "Do you believe in reincarnation?" Amusement glittered in his smile, the blood-red of his eyes speaking volumes and centuries of the things he'd seen.

"Not really."

"A shame." His eyes had a faraway look in them. "Why, it would make a lovely story."

"Excuse me?"

He waved a hand. "I speak to myself." He pushed his cart away, turning to look back and offer me another smile. "Good day, Aylin."

"Good... day..."

I headed down the street as well in the same direction Seren had gone. Decorating the street in front of a humble home were trampled jonquils. I stared at them for a second, wondering if they were the same flowers that I had seen not so long ago.

"My dear Lin."

I turned to see Arthur. "Arthur. What are you doing here?"

He stepped up to me, stopping at a respectful distance this time. "I was heading back to the mansion." He tilted his head as he looked at the blossoms on the floor. "Dear me, did those flowers offend you in some way?"

I shook my head vigorously. "They were like this when I found them!"

"Someone seems to have trampled them deliberately. I wonder what happened." He straightened from his inspection of the flowers. "Shall we head back together?"

I nodded, and fell into step beside him, the flowers behind us lost and forgotten.

                                  *

"But why would he need a date?" I asked, looking between Mozart and le Comte who both sat across me in the drawing room.

"That's the condition to attend the party this time," said le Comte, a hint of resignation in his ever-cultured voice. He set down his teacup. "It would be rather... unsightly for him to go alone."

Mozart looked both annoyed and exasperated. "This is inane."

"I'll bet," I said, knowing as well as anyone else in the mansion that Mozart was a people-pleaser who couldn't stand people. "I'll come along and stay out of your way. I don't need to dance, do I?"

"No," said Mozart. "Just stand in a corner and look pretty. Although that might be hard for you."

"Mozart," sighed le Comte. He turned to give me an apologetic look. "I'll leave you to accompany him then."

When I arrived at my room on the evening of the party, I found a dress on the bed, neatly laid out. it was stunning, as if someone had captured a field of silver blossoms into the fabric. A note in gorgeous but painfully curly handwriting lay beside it.

Arthur thought this would suit you and I thought so as well, so we brought it for you. Wear it for the party. —Le Comte de Saint-Germain

As asked, I wore it and headed out of the room, tugging slightly at the neckline. "I knew it would suit you," said Arthur, leaning against the wall and looking rather proud.

"What are you doing here?"

"Well, I helped buy it, so I wanted the honor of being the first to see it." His eyes looked rather wistful as he touched my cheek. "Regretful. I wish you were going out somewhere with me instead of Wolfie."

"Leave her alone, Arthur," said Mozart, heading up to us. He gave me a quick glance up and down. "You don't look too bad."

"I think we can make her look a little better," said Arthur, dragging me back into my room. He pushed me into the chair.

"Hey!" I protested as he pulled out my hairpins.

"Calm down." Grabbing my comb, he ran it through my hair. I had no idea what he was doing, but I sat quietly. Having someone else do my hair for me felt great, but with Arthur it somehow felt intimate. He let it fall around my shoulders, a single knot in the shape of a rose on the back of my head.

"You're good at this," I said, looking in the mirror.

"I'm good at a lot of other things to."

"I'll stop you there," said Wolf, offering me a hand. "We're heading out now."

He steered me away as I waved a goodbye to Arthur.

************************************