Chapter One - What is going on?

POV Ace

Have you ever wondered if waking up was actually necessary? Because I don't think it is.

Summer break was over, unfortunately. Not that I did much during the break.

Suddenly there was a knock on my bedroom door. The door swings open and my mothers head pops in. She is a little bundle of energy, even in the mornings. And when I say 'little', I mean LITTLE. In comparison to my 6.5 feet, she was standing at a height of 5.2 feet. Even though I had a genuine hate for waking up in the morning, my mothers smile always gave me the energy to at least get the day going.

I look back at mom and see her wearing a sad look on her face, that makes me to have a double take. ''What's wrong mom?'', I say worried. ''I have to tell you something. Please get up and meet us downstairs.'' She then shuts the door and walks away.

I get up and grab a white t-shirt, some black jeans, and a towel. Quickly doing my business, I walk downstairs and see my mother sitting on the couch.

Malia, my mother's fiancé, walks out from the kitchen with three cups of tea. She sets the cups on the coffee table and sits beside my mom. Walking towards the opposite couch in front of them, I eye my mom and Malia curiously. What news can be so bad, that we need to drink tea? We only drink tea when there is something serious that we need to discuss. Sitting down, I can feel that the tension in the room becomes thicker.

Mom keeps looking up at me and then down to her lap. Malia gently takes a hold of mom's chin and makes her to look up into Malia's eyes. ''You can do it Holly. Tell him, he deserves to know.'' I watch Malia give my mom an encouraging smile. Again, what is so important that mom needs a pep talk from Malia? She takes a breath and looks at me with a blank face, but her eyes betray her. I have always been good at reading people, and at the moment I see different emotions running thru her eyes. The one that stands out the most is guilt.

I wait patiently until she starts talking. While I ain't the most patient person, I know that she wants to tell me something important.

406 WORDS

I changed the chapter. I wasn't happy with how I started it. I know that this is a very short chapter, but I wanted to give you a sneak peak and a little cliffhanger.

If you see a grammar or spelling mistake, please let me know.