prologue

FOR AS LONG AS Jules can remember she dreamed of making a difference in the world.

She would pray every night. She'd wish wish on every shooting star. On every dandelion she blew on. Every birthday candle on her birthday cake. The dream always stayed the same. Make her family proud.

She wanted her name to be known. Juliana Greene.

So she worked hard. She made honour role, and won awards. Her passion for science grew and she shocked everyone around her with her extreme smarts. She was describe as many things, exceptional, gifted, talented and smart throughout her twenty years of life.

When she turned 18 she got a phone call that she would never forget. She got a job working for an incredible scientist named Victoria. Suddenly she had a scholarship in school and was working at the CDC in Atlanta.

The farm girl would make a difference. Maybe it wouldn't be curing cancer, but she would make her family proud and you can bet the world would know Juliana Greene's name. Even if an apocalypse destroyed her life, the world would know her name.

And so to keep herself sane, as people came back from the dead with cannibalistic behaviours, she wrote down everything she learned. She studied them, and the still living people around her. She began writing a scientists guide to the apocalypse.