↬Part 1

"Do you know that woman with blood-red hair and dark eyes?" mumbled Sam suspiciously.

"What?"

"She's just behind the window, and she's staring right at you."

♦♦♦

That night on Halloween, the two brothers wandered around the narrow streets. The gloomy sky was as dark as ink and the streetlights flickered as they walked.

"It's late, Blitzo, let's go home," said Sam.

"We only have one more to go," Blitzo replied, "Why don't we go to the cottage over there? It looks spooky enough for trick-or-treating."

He glanced at the cottage which was quiet in a corner under the moonlight.

"Look, I do not believe in ghosts, but we'd better not go in, especially during Halloween. I've heard of the rumours about that haunted cottage," Sam said in his quivery voice.

"Don't be a scaredy-cat. Besides, those are only rumours..." 

"Okay. Lead the way."

They crossed the road quickly, approaching the old cottage at the end of the street. 

The cottage was surrounded by the skeletons of dead pines. Windows were half open and covered with tangling spider webs. 

Sam sank his teeth into his bottom lip as they went through the marble staircases that led to the iron gate. It was swung open by the howling wind the moment they reached there. Their hearts were pounding in their chests rapidly as they went in. Sam, scared of the dark, grabbed Blitzo's arms tightly.

They looked at the foggy sky and the blurry moon behind the thick grey clouds, took a deep breath, and tiptoed slowly towards the main door of that cottage.

They knocked twice and stood there, waiting for someone to open the door for them, as their eyes scanned the cottage. They waited, but nobody replied. 

They were about to leave but Blitzo was curious about this mysterious cottage.

"I'll just have a look. Follow me, Sam, I don't think there is anyone inside."

The door was unlocked.

♦♦♦

They quietly sneaked through the door. Blitzo couldn't find the light switch, but he wasn't even a bit frightened. It looked no more different than an ordinary house, except for the portrait under the grandfather's clock. That was what caught Blitzo's eyes. It was a woman in a white dress, with daunting bloody red hair and dark eyes as black as coal, her hair covering half of her face. She was smiling wildly in the picture, her eyes intimidating as if they were staring at Blitzo and Sam. They were as mysterious as a cat's eyes, with shades of black around her eyes.

Sam was nervous and hid behind Blitzo, who feared nothing. "Blitz, don't you find this place oddly unusual? We really should go home," he stammered tremulously, his breathing becoming more rapid. 

"This is just a normal cottage. Let's go anyway if you want," he whispered.

As soon as Blitzo tried to open the door to make their way to the exit, he found out that the door was locked! He used all his might to push the door. It didn't move an inch no matter how hard he tried. There was no way out. Blitzo was so perturbed. Sam was crying. He had never been so desperate in his life. I don't want to die here... anyone, please save us. Sam looked at the grandfather's clock under the portrait as it just struck midnight. The eerie and creepy sound of the bells echoed around the walls before it died away.

Then Blitzo broke the silence. "I'm sorry, Sam, this is all my fault," he comforted him, "I promise we'll make our way home". Blitzo regretted his choice of going into the cottage. He felt guilty for bringing Sam there. He knew he had to protect him. He had to find a way to escape from this horrible cottage.

All of a sudden, he had a brilliant idea. He would climb out the window to escape. So he went first. He opened the window and stepped his left leg out, the other leg to the following. Blitzo landed on the dry hay, letting out a deep breath. Now it was Sam's turn. He hastily climbed out of the window, his legs shaking and hands sweating. He felt dizzy as if a spinning motor was placed in his head. He could even hear his heartbeat. He didn't know why, but he felt like someone was watching him. The woman in the portrait, as if coming to life, stared at him with her misty eyes. Maybe it was his illusion. But he never cared much. He jumped out through the window to the ground, and they dashed towards the gate quickly, panting out of breath.