In the Beginning

this story is dedicated to my cousin, Stacey. May you live through me, and guide me through my twenties, through my life. long live you. 🤍

You know, I had big fucking plans.

I got accepted in my school of choice, and I was actually really decent in high school. I was going to be a nurse, before changing majors and shìt. But you want to know what stopped me?

Niggas. Well, just one.

Hear me out, because I really sat up here and let time play a factor in this shit. I've been with this nigga since I was sixteen. Now look at me, almost 21 with a called off engagement working at a pancake house. I wasn't supposed to be living with my mama still. Do you know I hate the nigga she married? I change majors like Lil Durk change drawls (Shaderoom told me he never wears the same pair twice). But, it's 2022 now, and I'm going to make this year my best year yet.

"Are you done?" Amerah stood there, keys in hand, growing impatient.

"I'm sorry, what? I kinda zoned out there."

"Yeah bitch, you did. Over there having Raven visions and shit. Come on, we gotta go to work!"

Now Amerah is one of the most well put together messes I've ever seen. Don't know how she did it, but she bought a car before she got her license. I mean, she eventually got her license after 2 accidents and a court case later, but it was waved and that's all that matters.

The bent-up teal Tiffany blue 2017 Ford Fusion was just enough to get us to work and back, no extreme out of the way trips to Orland Park for us just yet.

We pulled up to the broke down diner on 173rd after a 10 minute drive from my mama house. Amerah parked out back by the kitchen door, and we made our way in.

"Good Morning Lucas!" I greeted the DMO who was always washing the dishes every time I come in.

"Buenos Dias, Chrissy!" He waved.

I typed my server number in the monitor and clocked in, following right behind Amerah to the back where we hang up our coats and shit.

"How much you making in tips today?" I ask her.

"Hopefully a good $200, I'm making sure all my tables tip me on this Sunday! You?"

"Chile, I'd be lucky if I get $60. Niggas half ass tip, and I thought a pretty face would do it for 'em." I shook my head.

"Hey, it's tax season, they should have money to blow."

"Yeah, 'ight. We'll see by 3 o'clock today."

I tied my apron around my waist, grabbed my server's booklet and notepad and went up to the hostess, Peaches, for today's tea.

"What's good, P? Which side of the restaurant am I taking today?"

"Hey Chrissy, you'll be in the 30s today, I know that's normally Yo-Yo's section, but they say she on probation for fucking the overnight cook."

I covered my mouth and gasped, "Shut up!"

"True shit! I'm sending you parties of 2s and 3s today, Amerah been on my shit list since we got into it over who didn't fill the juice machine. She can get the larger parties of young folks who don't tip."

"Now Peaches, that ain't fair, she got a set goal for tips in mind today."

She shook her head and pointed to my section. "Life ain't fair, you got two coming in now."

I rolled my eyes at how cut throat she was. After the elderly Black couple sat down, I met them at their table with a smile and some menus.

"Good morning and welcome to Auntie Mable's, I'm Chrissy and I'll be your server for today. Can I interest you in some coffee or juice?"

"Good morning sweetie, we'll both have some coffee." The older guy spoke up.

"Okay, coming right up." I smiled and walked into the back.

Amerah came walking towards me in a frantic manner, "Chrissy! Do you know why Peaches hasn't sent me a table yet? I've been back here an hour and ain't did shit but brew coffee!"

"That depends, who's turn was it to fill the juice machine?"

"Ugh, that bitch! You know, I can't wait 'til she gets her 3rd right up. I want her ass fired, you hear me?" Amerah rambled on about how that wasn't fair and how Peaches abuses her hostess powers.

Tuning her out, I put the coffee mugs on the server tray neatly along with a hot pot of coffee.

"Girl, all that sounds shitty, but I have to give this coffee out hot. I'll let you take my next table. Cool?"

"See girl, I knew I fucked with you for a reason!" She pat my hip because clearly my hands were too full for a high five and left me alone.

 I balanced the server tray on my hand and walked back into the front.

"Alrrright, two coffees. Now what can I get you lovely folks to eat?" 

"I'll order this time." The wife spoke up, causing her husband to chuckle. "I'll have the 2 eggs, scrambled, with bacon and chocolate chip pancakes. He'll have the steak and eggs, scrambled. And could you please bring out some sugar free syrup? He's diabetic, and we're celebrating 40 years today." She smiled.

"Aww! Happy Anniversary!" I smiled.

"Woman there you go, telling my business." He joked.

"Well I've kept you around this long, I don't want to speed up the process." They both broke out into a laugh.

"Well Lovebirds, I'll take your menus and I'll get your food out as soon as I can."

"Thank you." They said in unison.

After placing their ticket in the window, I sat and caught up with Peaches once again.

"What was them old folks talking about?" She inquired, popping her gum mighty loud.

"They're celebrating 40 years, P. 40 years! You know, that could've been me."

"Girl bye, and even if y'all did get married, it wouldn't have made it no 40 years." 

"Peaches, you don't think Daniel and I would've made it?"

"What I just say? He had you crying on your birthday, and I ain't talking about the good tears, or the gagging tears."

I waved her off. "You're a mess."

"I'm an honest mess though. Now hold down the front while I check the register."

I glanced over at the couple one last time. They were holding hands, smiling and laughing.

I really had that, and now... I regret ever feeling that at all.