CHAPTER 53

Heads turned to the sudden snap in the bush nearby. Without thinking, the men reached for their weapons and stood up slowly. Amid the voice of the birds and the gentle wind, they became one with the trees and could pass undetected for statues. Minutes grew into hours, yet they stood lame and hardly batted an eyelid. Maybe it was curiosity, Ugomma could not tell, but a close perusal and she saw a dent hanging on their shoulders. This was not their first time. The level of expertise showed that they’ve done this a million times.

The snap in the bush came again, and as if waiting for it, the men acted in unison, descending upon the object as they would a rabbit that had jumped out of a hole. Jide screamed as one of the men yanked his hair roughly, pushing him out into the clearing. 

“That’s no polite way to treat a warrior. Where are your manners?” Jide said, rubbing his hair.

“Who are you and why are you following us?” One of the men asked.

“Following you?” Jide chuckled and wiped the tears. He was still rubbing the base of his head, “Never thought of that. I am just a simple traveler and nothing more.”

“Traveler,” The second man repeated and notched his arrow.

There was something about the way he said the word that drove an electrifying needle into Ugomma’s skin. It became obvious even as they closed the gap with Jide, with mouth drooling lustfully. These men were bandits, she could see that now. The tattered clothes, the unshaved beard, and the burnt ears. Why had she not seen that before?

“Can we talk about this without anyone getting hurt?” Jide raised his left hand, using the right to crawl back like a spider.

“You’ve got money?” The first man asked.

Jide pushed through the confusion and tried not to look in the direction of his money bag, but he was too late and before he could reach for the purse, one of the men grabbed him from behind. He kicked and tried to break free, but the grip was too strong to keep his feet from the ground.

“Well, well, well.” The second thief giggled wickedly and yanked the purse from his waist. “So much money,” his eyes narrowed when he felt the weight of the bag. “What is a young girl like you, doing all by herself, with a money bag that is ten times a laborer’s yearly wage?”

“I am not a girl. Now hand back my money before I send your ancestor after you.” Jide cursed. 

“A young girl with a wide mouth,” The first thief laughed, “How about we have some fun, huh? Will your mama beg me to pay your dowries?”

“To hell with you,” Jide screamed and tried to struggle but the third thief wrestled him to the ground and started to undress him. “I think she is a slave,” The third thief panted amid the struggle. “A pretty slave,”

“No,” The second thief shook his head and spread Jide’s legs. “There are no markings. She must be a little princess. A nice little princess. I have never had one before. Let’s see how royal miscreants taste.” His laughter echoed through the afternoon trees as he laid on Jide. But the glee didn’t last, the thief pinning Jide to the ground had lost his grip, and seizing the opportunity, Jide held and bit the neck of the third thief who was trying to force himself on him. 

“YOU DOG,” The man cursed and pushed Jide back, freeing himself from the angry teeth. He tried to keep the blood from oozing but every attempt only made him smear the viscous fluid all over his body, “I will make sure you pay for this.” He drew his dagger, and the pain on his neck made his eyes lose every friendly color.

Ugomma thought she lost her breathing as her head swelled. She needed to act fast if she wanted to save her friend. He had a death wish, but she was not going to let him die. Not after she had promised the princess that she was going to take care of him.