A Proposal

The next day, you spent the entire morning in front of the mirror.

"Do I leave my hair like this?" you mumbled to yourself, messing with it. "Ugh, I'm just making it worse..."

"(Y/N)! What on earth are you doing!"

You jumped, spinning around to find Cecilia in your doorway.

"Ceci! You gave me a heart attack!" You turned back around, frowning at how dull your features looked. "I want to look nice, for..."

"Luisa, right?" your little sister finished when you couldn't. You nodded sheepishly, and she marched over with a sigh, grabbing a comb. "Let me do my magic. I'll have you ready in under an hour."

You sat while your sister poked and prodded at your hair, face, and clothes, finally feeling good-looking.

"Thanks," you said excitedly, pulling her into a tight hug. She smiled, and you felt a twinge of regret. For all her spunk and attitude, she still loved you and wanted to spend time with you. Lately, however, you had been spending more time reading at the Oak Tree than anything. "Let's  hang out when I get home, ok?"

"With Mateo?" she asked eagerly, pulling away from the hug.

"If he can," you responded with a smile before walking out and heading outside.

"Don't think this means we're friends!" Cecilia called after you. "You owe me big-time!"

"That's my little sister, all right," you murmured dryly to yourself as you hurried to your usual spot. You were nearly finished with your current book, and were hoping to finish it before Luisa came into sight.

When you finally arrived, you flopped down, breathing heavily, and quickly opened the book. Before you even had time to get started, Luisa was marching over the hill, a whole house balancing on the palms of her hands.

Open mouthed, you watched as she walked by, hardly breaking a sweat. She caught your eye, stumbling as her eyes widened slightly. But then she regained her composure, winking before lowering her head and continuing on.

You squeezed your eyes shut, beaming.

"She winked at me," you whispered to yourself, clenching your book so tightly your fingers turned white. "She winked at me. Dios mio, I hope she likes me. I mean, just as a friend, of course," you added quickly, remembering Delores. After that, you clamped your mouth shut, hurriedly going back to your book.

The hours flew by, sun shining brightly overhead, thanks to Antonio's successful gift ceremony the other night. Cecilia had mentioned something about Mirabel Madrigal panicking because Casita seemed to be cracking - the two girls were friends - but you hadn't gone, too embarrassed to meet Luisa at the entrance. Apparently it hadn't been too much of a disturbance, considering that Pepa seemed to be in a good mood.

Eventually, you heard Luisa walking up, and you quickly sat straighter and smoothed your hair out.

"Don't be stupid," you hissed to yourself once more before she appeared.

"(Y/N)! Hey!" she called, jogging over. She plopped down next to you, sitting like a giant child, and you laughed softly.

"Hi, Luisa. You feeling better today?"

She shrugged, her eyebrows scrunching together as she looked into the distance.

"I dunno. Things are kinda... weird right now. I mean..." she trailed off, shaking her head. You noticed a tendril of her black hair fall out of its bun and resisted the urge to sweep it behind her ear.

"You can tell me," you said instead, reaching out a hand and patting her ankle. "I won't tell anyone else."

Her eyes searched your face, as though making sure you were telling the truth.

"Promise?" she asked, fiddling with her fingers. "It's kind of big..."

"Promise," you responded immediately, holding out your pinky. She eyed it, confused, and you rolled you eyes with a smile. "Pinky swear, hello? Never heard of it?"

"Oh!" She laughed, holding out her own large pinky. "Forgot."

You both lowered your pinkies and you eyed her expectantly, trying not to smile too widely at her perfect face. She took a deep breath, nervously tightening the belt-like ribbon on her dress.

"All right... Mirabel thinks Casita's magic is fading and I think she might be right because I'm not as strong and the whole village is gonna hate me and I really really don't want you to hate me!" she blurted, her words running together and sending your mind on a race.

"Whoa... what? Why... why would I ever hate you? Nobody would ever hate you!" You leaned forward, pulling her into a tight hug as she held in tears. "Gift or not, you're still an amazing person, Luisa."

"But what if I'm useless? What if the village doesn't want me around anymore?" she whispered, wrapping her arms around your back and holding on to you like you were her lifeline.

You scowled fiercely, resting your chin on her muscled shoulder.

"Then I'll kick their butts. You're amazing, Luisa, and not just because you're strong. I've only known you for a few days, and even I can tell!"

She pulled back, smiling but clearly embarrassed.

"Thanks. I really need to stop acting like this every time we meet."

"I don't mind," you said, leaning back against the tree. "What can I say? I'm a natural-born therapist."

She guffawed, standing up and giving you a hand.

"You should come with."

"Where?" you asked as she yanked you to your feet.

"Dinner, of course." She winked at you as she had earlier. "Mariano's proposing to Isabela."