𝗉𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝗍𝗐𝗈. 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗿𝗸

_____

Counting Crows' Mr. Jones played on Kat's Walkman as she walked to her locker, humming the tune. She had a thought, that maybe today would he eventful. She passed Heather's locker on the way and sulked, but didn't acknoledge the lump forming in her throat, even when Mars caught up with her with a horrified expression -- probably because of the locker memorial.

"Uh, Kat, I was wondering if you were going the thing at the football field tonight?" Mars rubbed the back of his neck, leaning on the locker next to Kat's.

"Why do you ask?" Kat asked, "Thought you didn't swing my way." She smiled, grabbing a few books from her locker.

"Ah, it's just that." He laughed nervously, "I think Simon's gonna be there. I wanna ask him tonight, y'know? It's not under the best circumstances, but I think tonight's the night, and I just want my best friend to be there."

Kat looked up at Mars with bigger eyes, "That's sweet, Mars. But, I just don't know. I can see if Celine can be there. She seems to look up to you -- though, I don't see what she can even see up there if not the ceiling."

Mars scoffed playfully while Kat snorted and threw her hand over her mouth to hide a big smile. Mars started laughing to because of this, but eventually they started calming down.

"What are you listenin' to?" Mars asked once the laughs dissapeared.

"Well, I was listening to Mr. Jones, but my Walkman's been being a bitch and glitching all over. Now, I'm listening to Linger." Kat closed up her locker.

"The Cranberries?"

"Yeah, great band."

"Nah, Weezer's the best. Say It Ain't So's got a hold on me." Mars threw a hand to his heart and closed his eyes. Kat giggled again and lightly hit Mars' arm, pulling him away.

"C'mon, lets get to first period before the actual Mr. Jones decides to glitch and quit."

_____

"Before tonights game, out of respect for the other nights tragic events, Sunnyvale will host a candlelight vigil for the victims. All player, cheer, and band attendance is mandatory."

Kat stood in the gym, along with about fifty other teenagers who all cried out in annoyed yells. She stood next to one of her best friends, Deena Johnson. Both her and Kat turned their heads to Kate Schmidt a little farther from where they stood. Kat held a bag with her cheer uniform in it and contemplated quitting cheer already.

"Ready?" Kat mouthed to Kate.

"Shit, no." Kate mouthed back.

Deena could tell what was being said and pointed her hand to her head in the shape of a gun, 'shooting' it, making the other girls laugh.

"Lets do this." Deena mouthed to both the girls, smiling wickedly.

_____

Kat, sitting in the bus seat in her cheer uniform constantly pulled down her skirt to keep it from pulling up and showing everyone her thighs. She patiently waited for Mars to show up with Deena trailing behind, yet tapped her foot on the bus floor in anxiety.

A little secret, in Kat's head, a bomb is always ticking. Every second of every day she expects the worst, and usually things always live up to her expectations. She told Heather not to take the night shift. Bad things always happen to pretty girls in the dark. She told her mom to turn away the next cigar she was handed. Lung cancer isn't an old friend to ex-smokers. She told Deena to hang onto Sam. There wouldn't be many people like Sam and Heather willing to put up with people like Deena and Kat.