i. Pilot - dead girl walking

One: pilot - dead girl walking

It was the end of summer, the week before school started

It was the end of summer, the week before school started. I had no intention of staying clean. And Jules had just moved to town. Veronica was no longer in a group home.

FEZCO sat there as if he'd been waiting for me. "Yo, Rue! There's some new girl in town that I think you and Vera gonna be friends with."

"Who?"

"Sh1t, I don't know. She came in yesterday lookin' all Sailor Moon and sh1t. I'm thinking to myself, like, look like somebody Rue would get along with."

Which was sort of like a dead-on observation for Fezco, who's not normally revolving in the same direction as planet Earth.

"So, how long have you been back?"

"Five days."

"And like, how you feelin'?

"I mean, ever since I gave my life over to my lord and savior Jesus Christ, things have been, like, really good."

"Word? That's what's up."

"Yeah. I'm f*cking with you, Fez. It was a joke."

"sh1t."

"Hey, I don't judge. Uh, but low-key, is Ashtray in the back?

"Are you serious?" fez asked me.

What, you think 'cause I went to rehab, I stayed clean?

"I mean, ain't that the point?"

"Yeah, well, the world's coming to an end, and I haven't even graduated high school yet."

ASHTRAY smirked when I ordered my usual. "You sure you don't want to try nothin' new?"

I raised a brow. "Like what?"

ASHTRAY rolled his eyes. "2C-T-2, 2C-T-7, and 5-MeO-DIPT."

I laughed, spacing out and missing everything Ashtray said until he said, "That'll be 120."

"Uh, Fez said he'd spot me."

"Fezco don't spot nobody."

"Yeah, well, it's a post-rehab discount, - so you should ask him."

"I will go ask him 'cause I know you're full of shit." Ashtray sighed as Nate Jacobs pulled up in his MAGA truck. "There goes your girlfriend with her asshole boyfriend." Veronica St. James Sawyer, my best friend since diapers and Fez's only employee, sat in the passenger seat. Ashtray and I watched in disgust as Nate grabbed her arm and planted a kiss on her cheek. For show, of course, to distract from him whispering a warning in her ear. "Just be a good girl and stay in the car, alright, beautiful?"

"Okay." But Veronica had been rebelling against Nate after his most recent breakup with Maddy.

Ashtray faked a smile as Veronica approached. "Sup future baby mama."