Prologue

I slowly open the rusty, black gate, it creaks quite loudly, as if warning the occupants of my presence. Thankfully, the residents don't mind me visiting. No one ever comes here, everyone says its creepy, dark, and damp. I say they shouldn't judge a place by its appearance, but my words go unheard by the closed minded people of this town.

As I follow the faded stone trail, my heartbeat slows, my haste falters, and I breathe in the cool night air, finally able to feel at ease. I gaze at the scenery, the tall wilted oak trees gently swaying in the light breeze, their branches like limbs reaching out for something unknown. The crickets within the patches of grass singing their lullaby. The sweet smell of dirt and dying roses welcoming me, telling me its safe.

I find myself getting lost within my own thoughts, and before I know it I've reached my destination. I close my eyes and take a few breaths, bringing myself back to reality. Slowly, I kneel down onto the soft Earth beneath me. My eyes reopen and I'm faced with a dull grey tombstone. I smile slightly as I read the name of the stone slab.

August B. Hill

1987-2017

August was a caring father and loving husband who did his best to make sure his only daughter was happy and loved.

May He Rest In Peace

My eyes start to tear up as I gently lay the roses in front of the grave. I wipe my eyes then sigh once more; i couldnt even see him the day he died, I'd give anything to hug him again. To see his smile. To hear his soothing voice tell me everything would be fine, and it would be true because we'd be together. But I don't have that luxury. No one does.

I close my eyes and take one last calming breath before getting back onto my feet. I attempt to brush off a bit of the dirt but soon realize its doing nothing. Slightly agitated, I stop trying and turn back to the stone path, only to be faced with another person. Completely caught off guard, I let out a startled noise. They chuckle as I attempt to compose myself.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I thought I was the only one who was here." I breathed, trying to slow my pounding heart. They nodded and moved off the path, they seemed startled themselves. I awkwardly smiled and thanked them, to which they nodded at, and I went back down the familiar trail.

While walking, I wondered why someone else would be at the grave yard at just about midnight. And why I didnt hear them walk up behind me. Come to think of it, this is a relatively small town and I don't believe I've seen them anywhere else before... Maybe they're new?

New people don't tend to stay here very long. Not once they hear about the unsolved disappearances.

=========================

Words: 498