💫💫Information💫💫

Hello, and welcome to that magical time of year where our leader Cross let's a mod run a book club, because I'm very convincing. That's right, it's time for The Open Novella Contest Dreamland Book Club!

Your admins here will be me, skyebme, it's me.

This club will be a combination of casual and trying to help each other do a bit of cleaning duty before judging phase. So not wanting to hammer anyone or murder them with red pen, but instead some nice peer review and feedback.

If you were here last year, then you already know what's up. If you weren't, don't worry about it. We'll walk you through it.

The Process

• Every Sunday evening (around 10 PM EST), there will be an update. You must be finished with your work by 12 PM EST though. Yes, I do in fact need eight hours to make sure I have all the checks done and pairs paired.

• In this update, you will be paired with one other ONC book. There will also be an optional BotW (book of the week).

• You have to read two chapters of your partner's book, and an optional two chapters of the BotW. Only those who do BotW can have a chance of becoming BotW.

• You must leave a total of 7+ inlines on each chapter you read, or a 5+ sentence (paragraph) outline.

• After you finish your assignment, you will say done next to your name, and if you finish BotW, you will say so in a section right under BotW.

Note: for those interested in doing BotW, indicate in your form.

• Once you are done with your assignment (BotW doesn't have to be done for this) you can then go to the bottom area which we will label Extra Pairings. One spot will say "Request New Pairing. You will say you would like an extra pairing inline to here. There will be one extra pairing a week for those who want one.

• Every Wednesday around 12 PM EST, we will pair people once again in the comments. It will look like this:

The following members are being paired.

MemberA (Book title) and Member S (Book Title)

Member F (Book Title) and Member V

• These pairings will still be two chapters with 7+ inlines or 5+ sentence outline.

• You will reply to the inline pairing you when you are done saying done. 

• TL;DR: this book club basically gives you a normal pairing with the chance of going on to get many pairings.

UPDATED RULE: I realize any of you currently in Hunt may also be reading these books for Hunt. Since we do not allow double reporting (doing one assignment's worth of work and turning it in for two different clubs) I have come up with an alternative. If you read the chapter for Hunt and leave inlines, you can leave the 5+ sentence outline for here. Keep in mind, since you'd have technically read this chapter twice, the outline should be as helpful as you can make it. This should also be a last resort. Try your best to keep me updated (I will do my best to keep track) of who you've read for outside this club. You should be reading new chapters first before double dipping.

Also! To my problem children who binge read. I'm looking at you and you know who you are. If you read ahead or plan to read ahead for someone, tell me who so I can block them out on the sheet and not pair you.

Avoidances

We understand not everyone wants to read everything and that not everyone will click with each other.

Because of this, you may request we do not re-pair you with a person. Please only do this if you really cannot click with someone or their book has content that is just something you don't feel comfortable to read or enjoy on any level.

Comments

Like I said, this place is more of a peer review thing where we are having fun while also helping people do well with their ONC. Writing a novella is really hard, so having each other supporting you is really gonna help.

Don't go trying to crush anyone's spirits, be considerate of how you word things, don't screw someone over by giving them the bare minimum and dropping emoji reactions and nothing else. This isn't supposed to take all your effort, but you should still be trying.

If we notice you're doing one of these things too often, we will talk to you.

Rules

Aside from that, we have a couple other basic rules.

• Your book must be in the ONC. If you drop out, we love you, but we also nudge you to our other book clubs because this is for ONC books. If, though, you are still keeping up with all the deadlines and everything and mock participating because of whatever reason (didn't make it to the longlist or something) we will make an exception. However, you must be keeping up with the ONC timeline.

• Stories must be in English. Sorry, our admins speak English so other languages would be impossible to really help with as we also likely wouldn't understand the comments.

• Stories may be mature, but please keep in mind we may have 13 year olds here, so give us a heads up.

• If you have two ONC entries and want to enter both, we will write your name as MemberA (Book 1 OR Book 2)

• Respect your admins and fellow club members.

• Most importantly, have fun!

Other Notes

This club will only go on from the beginning of ONC to the announcement of the shortlist.

We have many other clubs that you are free to check out. They aren't ONC specific, but from what I've been told, they're still amazing.

We have a discord that we will actually ask you if you want to join in the form! We have sprints/marathons/word wars quite often, and you'll be able to talk with your fellow club members and other ONC members there!

If you have any questions whatsoever, please let us know!