prologue

"There I was again tonight
Forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired, lonely place
Walls of insecurity"

TW // ED

5/24/2018

5/24/2018

"Surprise!"

A multitude of yelling erupts from around the room as Charlotte and I enter. Clapping and cheering come from all corners, the confines of our apartment full to the brim of people.

I didn't know we knew this many people. I don't. She does.

Today's the day that Char and I celebrate our birthdays. Yes I said birthdays. She's two years and a day older than me, but who's really counting?

Since I can remember we've been celebrating our birthdays together and if she weren't here to celebrate our birthdays I think we'd have a problem.

My eyes turned towards her with my jaw dropped in shock, not expecting our entire place to be full of people.

Well, they're probably all Charlotte's friends and people from work.

I, on the other hand, don't have too many friends. A lot of acquaintances? Yes. Friends? One.

Her hands grip onto my shoulders, shaking me out of the shocked state I was in to take in the people in front of me. Ivy runs out from the middle of the crowd with her arms wide open, "It's my big sister's birthday move it or lose it!"

I laugh at her dramatics and engulf her into the hug she was rushing towards me to get. Her arms wrap around my waist while mine wrap around her shoulders. The familiar scent of peaches overtakes my senses, bringing me back down to earth for a few moments and grounding me into place.

Unraveling my arms from around her, I grab ahold of both sides of her face, turning it in every direction to make sure she has gone unharmed. "What did you do?!" I ask, letting out a breathy laugh and shaking my head.

"It's your birthday, so we're going to celebrate! You two—," she stops mid sentence, I'm assuming to look for Char who's gone off to God knows where.

"Now where did this bitch go?" she throws her hands out in front of her while stomping in the direction of where the crowd seems to be splitting. She quickly maneuvers herself through the crowd, trying to find Char.

When she does finally find her after a couple of moments, I hear from somewhere in the back corner, "The girl has been acquired!"

I just let out small laughs at this and wait for them to come back to me, still at the front door. Whenever you get thrown a surprise party, aren't you supposed to be dragged in by your friends, them telling you exactly how they made it work, and then getting shit-faced drunk?

So far we've got zero out of three so it can only go up from here right?

Charlotte and Ivy come through the crowd right back to me at the front door, "I'm sorry peanut I thought you were right behind me," Charlotte coos. She tries to grab ahold of my cheeks to squish them but I'm quickly smacking her hands away from being all grabby.