Chapter Twenty-Seven

Dylan

My skull pulsates like a limb finally being allowed blood after it's circulation was cut off. I can feel my blood rolling down my scalp and onto the back of my neck in thick slow moving ribbons. Every effort to open my eyes is thwarted by the dots clouding my vision so I decide to keep them closed.

Attempting to reach for the sore spot on my head, I realize my hands are bound together and then again tied to my feet.

"Sorry about all of this," a familiar voice echoes around the walls.

My ears ache at how loud he is but I know that voice from anywhere.

"Connor," I whisper, unable to find my voice. "Please... help me."

I hear his footsteps growing closer and closer until I can feel his body heat against mine. It's a heavy contrast to the cold wetness of the floor I'm on.

"Shh," he chides, smoothing my hair before laying my head against his chest, "It'll all be over soon and then we can be together."

My heart rate speeds at his words while his remains completely steady. His heart's pace is calm against my ear alerting me he fully believes everything he's saying.

I take another chance at opening my eyes, pushing past the dots that fill my sight. Widening then closing my eyes I blink my way into clarity.

Cave. That's the only word that comes to mind as I take in our surroundings for the first time. The walls are made completely of stone, covered in what looks like rust or dirt. The ground itself is brown and damp and feels as cold and hard as ice.

"W-Where are we?" I mutter, I know he can hear me with the amount of echo in this place. Even still he's so close he can probably hear my thoughts.

"A collapsed mine shaft in the woods," Connor explains hopping to his feet.

It's blowing my mind watching him now. He's waltzing around like we're sitting in a hotel room in the Hilton rather than a dank abandoned hideaway in the woods. His demeanor is completely different, no longer is he the insecure troubled boy I grew so fond of. Now... well I don't know who he is.

"Derek and I found this place when we were younger. It was going to be our fort. We were just making headway on clearing it when," he stops and breathes deeply as if to calm himself, "he came back."

The amount of venom he said the word with sends ice down my spine. I watch in horror as his eyes turn black and his claws extend. Simultaneously he punches one of the walls and a growl erupts from his chest pinging off of every surface around us making it that much louder and menacing.

I scream, an involuntary action, but it draws his attention.

His features soften and return to normal almost instantly. "No no no," his voice is calmer now, soothing almost, "You don't have to be afraid of me. I would never hurt you. I'm nothing like him."

Wild rumbling in my chest and a flurry of thoughts flooding my mind are my body's responses to his words. He's talking about Karter. The realization must be all over my face because he smirks, gliding the back of his hand down my face lovingly before he stands.

"I see you've finally put two and two together," he affirms, checking his cell phone. "To be honest I'm surprised it took you this long. I always thought you were more intelligent, it's one of the things I love about you."

When I don't respond he continues.

"In fact I thought you were on to me a few times but no, you couldn't see past the act I was putting on. I did a great job too huh? Playing right into your insatiable need to help people and pick up the pieces for them even if your own world is falling apart. That's yet another thing I love about you Dylan."