italian gp

from: redbull racing
re: position as redbull photographer

dear ms lila dawnrey,
we regret to inform you that we are currently unable to offer u a permanent position at redbull racing.

lila felt the bubble that had been forming inside her the past days burst, as she started to freefall into the concrete reality below.

however, we hope to employ you on a preliminary basis for the next 16 weeks as part of a trail period. we will be inviting 3 photographers to garner knowledge from our current photographer. at the end of the trial period we will select one of you to join our team permanently for the rest of the season as well as the 2022 season. please respond clarifying your interest in this role.
more details will be sent after the clarification.

lila let out a scream of glee and josh came running into the room.

"that's incredible! i'm so proud of you babe," he said picking her up and spinning her round.
lila stubbled to regain her balance. the bubble reformed inside her, re-inflated by a newfound sense of excitement.

josh worked for his dads company, leasing apartments and housing. it wasn't a job that required much but restricted his ability to travel greatly.

that night he took her out to dinner in celebration.
"i'm so excited for you lila, I really am,"
she could tell something was off.
there was something forced in his smile.
"what is it josh cmon, i'm not dumb. what's going on," josh didn't like to be pushed, he didn't like feeling 'investigated' as he called it.
at the beginning of their relationship it had been their biggest issue, his inability to open up and her constant attempts to make him tell her what was going through his head.
"nothing, it's nothing," his smile became more false.
"i'm just gonna miss u is all," though the words he spoke seemed innocent enough, there was a hint of passive aggressiveness in his tone.
josh knew how to get under lila's skin,
how to make her feel guilty,
force her hand so that she was the one who had to apologise.
"that's not fair josh. don't make this great thing into a burden," she wouldn't fall for it. she had learnt though their relationship how to stand up for herself. she knew that calling him out on his attempted manipulation would likely start a fight but she wasn't going to let him squash her excitement about this new opportunity.
"you're right. you're right. i'm sorry," he reached his hand out to grab hers across the table.
"i'm really excited for you, lil. it's a great opportunity and i'm so proud of you. I am really gonna miss having u over every night though," his tone held no hidden motives. he was being the open and caring josh that lila had come to love.
"i'm gonna miss you too. but I swear i'll spend every second that i'm back here in manchester with you ok?" she tried to give him her most reassuring smile.
"does that mean you'll finally officially move in?" a hopeful grin spread across his face.
lila deliberated for a moment but realised, as hard as she tried, she couldn't think of a single reason it wasn't the right call.
"ok," she bit the inside of her mouth, trying to repress her smile.
"you mean it?" josh looked as if he could hardly believe what she was saying.
"yea, I mean why not," it was scary, relying so much on another person, but lila couldn't deny the relief that came with finally committing.

- - -

the next morning at 11am, lila was at the airport boarding her flight due to italy. the next day she would be meeting the current redbull photographers as well as the two other candidates participating in the trail period.
butterflies of nervous excitement fluttered around within. she had no clue what to expect.
actually, that was a slight overstatement, she had spent the night before researching all that she could about the redbull photography team.
there were four current photographers at redbull.

will was aged late 30s possibly early 40s and was the most average man lila had ever seen. short brown hair with a wiry and slightly mouse like appearance.