Chapter 16

~Warning. Underage drinking. I don't condone such a thing, I just write about it. You've been warned.~

Adrien

"Thanks for agreeing to talk to me Nino."

He was sprawled out over a park bench, no longer caring about whether or not someone saw him. Nino shrugged, kicking the bench lightly with his foot.

"I still want to be your friend Adrien. We've been bros for too long to let this fall apart over one little thing."

Adrien shifted into a sitting position, rubbing his face.

"But I need a better understanding. I know you like Marinette. But, I don't understand what happened. Are you two actually dating?"

"No. She's my soulmate. But she doesn't love me."

He glanced at Nino to see his reaction, unfortunately the boy didn't really have one. He was just staring blankly at him.

"Thing is, her soulmate is Chat Noir. Not Adrien."

Another blank stare. He sat down next to him, and Adrien held his breath. He had wanted to tell someone for so long.

"Chat Noir huh?"

"Funny isn't it? That she's supposed to be with my alter ego?"

Nino hummed, leaning his head back to look at the sky.

"So you're saying you're Chat Noir?"

"Yes."

"And I'm supposed to believe that?"

Nino rolled his eyes, and Adrien bit the inside of his lip. Of course Nino wouldn't believe him.

"Plagg, make sure only he sees you."

His kwami huffed, moving from Adrien's shirt to the bench between them. Nino looked down at him, then back up to Adrien, and back and forth.

"Holy shit."

"That's not all. Marinette and I aren't on the same page. So we're both going to die. I need you to take my roll."

Nino stood, pacing back and forth in front of the bench, constantly glancing at the black kwami sitting next to Adrien.

"You... you want me to be Chat Noir?"

"Obviously you'll have to pick a new name. That one was mine."

Nino stopped, slowly turning to Adrien.

"I... can't."

"What? Of course you can. You'd do great I'm sure of it."

Nino shook his head as Adrien stood up, frowning. He had to. Nino was his only option.

"You're Chat. I can't just replace you like that. We'll figure something out. You and Marinette can work things out I'm sure of it. Besides, I thought she was in l-"

"She cheated on me. Chance of reconciliation is zero."

Nino stared at him flabbergasted. Yeah, Adrien agreed. Never in his life had he thought Marinette would do something like that.

"Maybe it wasn't what you thought."

"She told me herself. She admitted to cheating."

Nino sighed, running his fingers along the brim of his hat.