"Where did you get this ring that I love honey?"

Trigger Warnings!!! // implied self-harm mentioned a few times throughout the chapter, nothing graphic but allusions to an underaged main character being suicidal and self-harming. No graphic talk of it besides another main character mentioning it verbally and in his brain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Techno sighs as he stares guiltily at the crown in his hands, it was a beautiful gift he had decided. He just wasn't sure where his father got the money for such luxuries. Especially since Phil had denied Tommy a matching set of music discs just the week prior... Something was up, this crown must have cost a fortune with the custom design and the emerald that adorned it's curvy frame.

He sat the crown down gently in his jewelry chest, making space between his and Tommy's matching animal print bracelets. An inside joke between the two had sparked years ago and become somewhat of a tradition to trade animal related gifts. Techno smiled softly at the happily shared memory. He missed those days, the way they could all sit together without a fight breaking out.

He sighs harshly as he shuts the jewel chest, swiping off some dust as he does so. The house hadn't been the same since Wilbur's untimely departure. Wilbur had always been the mediator of the family, he could even talk Tommy down from his harshest fights. Something not even Phil, his father could do. He brings his fist down on the bedside table, the wood cracking under the pressure. Regret fills him as he looks at the once perfect table. It had been a gift from Wilbur back before the accident.

The bed creaks beneath him as he flops down into it. Something was wrong, especially if Phil had turned to pit fighting without consulting him first. Techno had been trained as a killer since he could walk, if they had to fight to get enough for food then it was always him, never Phil. Techno sighs softly, why was this family so dysfunctional? He cursed the Gods that had cursed this family with misfortune, why did Wilbur have to leave, why does Tommy always fight back, why does Phil keep secrets.

Techno's shoulders sag as he slowly stands up from his bed, he couldn't let this go on any longer, he was going to get to the bottom of this before it got further out of hand. He was tired of seeing Tommy in the bathroom, bandages crawling up his arms and Phil never noticing. He had tried to intervene once and it ended with slammed doors and awkward family dinners for a week. He craved the days where seeing the brothers three in the market laughing was a common sight, where he would teach Tommy fencing to prepare for sword fighting.

He missed Wilbur, the way the silence between them was never awkward but was like a comforting blanket. He missed Wilbur singing him back to sleep after his nightmares of the pits. He missed when Phil was active in their sports and activities. He missed when Phil would help him prepare for a fencing tournament. Now he's lucky if Phil even remembers and says good luck. He missed Mom, the way she always had a story and hot coco. He missed when Mom would know when he's down and slip his favorite food under his door and offer warm hugs. He missed his family.

Techno's steps stutter as he walks past the bathroom, praying he wouldn't find Tommy inside. A wave of relief washes over the piglin when he sees the bathroom empty. He regains his determined pace as he stomps down the stairs, a look of agitation covering his usually neutral features. He hesitates when he makes it to the bottom of the stairs, he can hear Phil flipping through the other morning's newspaper, the smell of coffee invading his sensitive nose.

Phil looks up as Techno enters the kitchen, "you're up early." The only response he receives is a sharp grunt, causing him to physically recoil, the signs of an upcoming argument thick in the air. "Techno, what's wrong?" Phil questions softly, the hope of keeping the talk from blowing up in his face heavy in his voice.