Moon God

"I'm telling you; I would do good looking after a puppy!"

The man with a long black coat covered his mouth and coughed silently at the statement.

"Are you laughing at me, Akutagawa?"

"Excuse me, Chuuya-san."

Nakahara Chuuya, the Port Mafia's executive could clearly hear his subordinate's voice shake as he tried to hide his laugh. Akutagawa swiftly escaped the room and left Chuuya alone.

Chuuya swirled his wine glass in circular motions and thought, "Do I look that bad at taking responsibility?" He then brought the glass up and savoured his 64' Domaine de la Romanee-Conti.

It was around 8pm when Chuuya took his leave from the Port Mafia. Soon enough, rain poured. Despite his gravity manipulating ability, he still let the rain fall onto him, soaking every bit of his clothing.

Talk about dramatic.

He walked past a few stores, people rushing around him to escape the rain and there he was still taking his sweet time in the rain.

Chuuya walked a few blocks further when he heard loud rustlings from the dark alleyway. He thought to ignore it, but he heard muffled whimpers and sounds of a box getting scratched.

He wanted to keep going. It was probably a stray, he assumed and kept walking, but his heart said no. He made a sharp turn back and rushed towards the alleyway. It was barely lit by the streetlamps across the road but he caught a glimpse of a wet-collapsing box right next to the dumpster.

He went closer and there was the source of the sound.

"No, people wouldn't keep a rat in a box like this!"

Without hesitating, he ripped the wet box open only to reveal a puppy, shaking and whimpering. Its fur was as dark as the situation in the alley that Chuuya had a hard time trying to look at it.

Chuuya thought of just leaving it there since it was already free from the taped box but when a lightning struck, it lit up the alleyway for a quick second where Chuuya's eyes met with the puppy's pleading eyes.

"Fine, I'll take you home but we'll figure out what to do with you tomorrow."

He took his coat off and grabbed the puppy carefully as he wrapped it warm -despite it already wet- then held it close to his chest.

The puppy sat comfortably in his embrace along the entire way home.

As soon as Chuuya walked into his apartment, he placed the puppy down where it ran towards the corner. Chuuya ignore its shenanigans and went to clean himself up first. After he got out from the showers, he saw the puppy was struggling to sleep as it was still shivering.

Chuuya scratched his head then proceed to grab a pillow from the couch then slid the pillow onto the floor making it bump on the puppy's back.

The puppy jumped a little before curiously sniffing the pillow.

Once it was satisfied, it sat on the pillow and curled up.

Chuuya took this chance to dry the puppy with a towel. He decided not to use a hairdryer as the sound would startle the puppy and he was not experienced enough to know how hot an animal should be blown by a dryer.

The puppy was surprisingly quiet. Chuuya got worried and quickly looked for a plastic container and filled it with water.

The puppy heard the soft plastic sound landing onto the tiled floor and immediately got up to drink, almost like it was already trained.