Raindrops and Jitterbugs

The storm outside was fierce. Winds were at an all-time high, causing tree limbs to slap against the windows. Five year old Emma Rosalie hid her head under the blanket in an attempt to drown out the noise. The little alpha did her best to be brave, but after a rather nasty flash of lightning, she jumped out of the bed and ran down the hallway to her parent's room.

"Mommy! Daddy!"

Bucky instantly jumped up out of the bed, going on alert for any intruders. When he saw it was only his daughter, the tension bled out of his shoulders and he bent down and picked the girl up off the floor.

"What's the matter sweetness?"

"The storm's too loud mommy, I'm scared."

Bucky cradled her against him, allowing calming pheromones to permeate the air. It wasn't long before a pair of arms snaked around him as his husband nuzzled the bond mark on his neck.

"What are my two favorite people up to?"

"Emma's having a hard time with this weather."

"Well we can't have that," Sam said as he moved around to take their daughter into his arms," Hey babygirl, you want to sleep with mommy and daddy tonight?"

"Uh-huh....can we make a pillow fort?"

"I think that can be arranged...Buck?"

"I'll get the blankets and pillows."

                  *************

Between his army experience and omega nesting instincts, Bucky was an expert at fort building. He knew exactly how many pillows and blankets were needed to make something both sturdy and comfortable.

He went down to the hall closet where the extra linens were kept, and grabbed several items before returning to the bedroom. Sam had already set up two chairs to build the foundation on, so Bucky took care of the rest. He made sure that the blankets that carried his scent the most were towards the bottom, that way their daughter would be instantly calmed when she laid down on them.

"That's one good looking Fort,Buck."

"Of course it is, I take my blanket tent structures very seriously, now get in here you two."

Emma crawled in first, snuggling up against her mother and inhaling the omega's calming scent. Sam got in on the other side of their pup and wrapped his arm around both of them.

"Now this is what I call cozy, what do you think   babygirl?"

"Very cozy, Daddy!"

It seemed like the rest of the night would go smoothly, but a huge crack of thunder had Emma whimpering and hiding her face against Bucky's shoulder.