Chapter 3: Unspoken Echoes

"Lillian, how are you feeling today?" I ask.

"Sad," she murmurs, "but better than yesterday. Can we try that breathing exercise again?"

I simply extend my hands. By the time we finish, a transformation is evident in Lillian's demeanor, and a wave of gratitude washes over me. Helping others—it's a gift. I quickly jot down notes from our session before heading to Luna's office.

The cream-colored hallways lead me to a large oak door. I'm about to knock when it swings open, revealing Bethany. "Where have you been? Nora and I have been waiting!"

I sit beside her, and she slides a dish towards me. "Vegetable couscous with Mediterranean lamb."

I can't help but salivate. "You're the best."

"You tell me that every week," she says with a chuckle. As we eat, I brief Luna on the week's sessions and discuss pack members needing extra attention.

Luna smirks, eyebrow raised. "You'll be delighted to hear the Alpha of the Southern pack is requesting your expertise. Apparently, he would greatly appreciate your services."

The mere mention of Alpha Aidan makes me blush.

"Umm, services?" Bethany teases, wiggling her brows.

"And skills," Nora joins in, giggling.

"He's requested you three times now. Are you going to decline again?" Luna inquires.

"Send Merlin. He's got two decades of experience," I deflect.

"We have been sending him. But his pack has only one empath and they are young and in need of training. I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to poach you from us," Luna states firmly.

"Maybe he'll lock you in a dungeon till you fall for him," Bethany jokes.

"As your Luna, I'd approve," Nora grins.

"He's probably surrounded by admirers. He won't want me," I counter.

"He might if you join the harem," Bethany chuckles.

"You could always join the harem," Nora adds.

"Make sure to put in a good word for me too," Bethany says through a laugh.
I shake my head and smile.
.......................................................................
As Bethany and I head towards training post-lunch, I spot Tiffany shamelessly clinging to Thunder. With each sickeningly sweet display, she's screaming that he belongs to her. For their sakes, they better be mates, or else the heartbreak for their true mates will be unbearable.

Bethany and I purposefully walk past, refusing to give them the satisfaction of our attention. Their drama is not ours to shoulder.

Once everyone's arrived, we're at it with laps again. Before I even start, I'm irritated by the sight of Tiffany still lingering by the exit, batting her eyelashes at Thunder. Pushing the thought aside, I start my run, maintaining a swift pace.

"Pick up the pace, Lauren!" Thunder's
booming voice cuts through the air.

Annoyed, I stay consistent; several others are far slower. He knows I'm fast, but his purpose isn't encouragement—it's provocation.

"Faster, Lauren!" His taunting continues. The sound of his heavy footsteps grows louder, echoing my own. I pick up the pace trying to get away from him.

"You really think that's all I've got?" He challenges, matching my speed, ensuring I can't escape his shadow.

Infuriated, I halt, forcing him to face me. "Can you for once, just once, not be so insufferable?" I retort. His breathing is labored, chest heaving in a way that would be attractive if I weren't so enraged.