8 - In the same rhythm

I looked at Gunil unsure. "Just play?", I repeated what he had said a few seconds earlier. He nodded. "You haven't shown me ANYTHING", I complained. He chuckled. "Just try it", he encouraged me. I frowned but took the sticks and turned to the drums to hit the Hi-Hat. "Can't you just teach me?", I whined. Gunil sighed and squatted down next to me. "Playing the drums is about rhythm. Dancing as well. And the rhythm is what your heart teaches you. I first want to know your rhythm. Just try it, there is no right or wrong", he softly said. I tilted my head. "Koo Gunil, you really are something", I mumbled and then turned back to the instrument, trying out the bassdrum and the snare. Shyly, I started just doing... something. Whatever it was, I at least got comfortable with the drums. After a short while, I turned back to him. He beamed proudly.

"That wasn't half bad", he assured me, "You're not hopeless." I frowned. "Thanks for such a nice compliment", I deadpanned. He laughed his walrus-laugh again and I couldn't avoid grinning along. "Hey, I never doubted it. I know how you're dancing after all. You have rhythm in your blood. Just need to learn how to express it with the drums", he said and stepped behind me. "May I?", he asked softly, my heart almost stopping as I heard him right next to my ear. "May you what?", I wanted to know. The strangely high-pitched voice was back. "May I this?", he replied and suddenly I felt his arms around me, carefully taking my hands in his to guide them. I felt his body against my back, felt his body warmth and heartbeat. Strangely, it was beating just as fast as mine which I thought could explode any moment. Wait... Could that mean... "Let me show you my rhythm", he whispered and gently started to play while guiding my hands. "Close your eyes and listen", he then said into my ear, "To my heart and the way I am playing." A bit nervously, I did so.

I don't know how it happened, but I suddenly found myself understanding what he meant. He was playing to his heartbeat. And to mine, for that matter. I started to relax and he seemed to notice, picking up the changed atmosphere as he played. My amazement grew as I realized it and more to myself, I asked: "How do you do that?" "Hmm?" He obviously didn't hear me, so I turned my head, forgetting how close he was. My lips inevitably brushed over his cheek and I turned red in a second. It suddenly went silent and I wanted to disappear just as much as I wanted to actually do it again. But properly this time. Being caught up in my emotionally confused state, I almost didn't recognize that he had put the sticks aside without letting go of my one hand. Holding it still, he gently pulled me up. I stared at him with wide eyes, my eyes getting drawn to his lips eventually. I realized he smirked, only hesitating for a split second before leaning in and kissing me. My eyes widened even more, my heart skipped not only one beat and my stomach was full of butterflies. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me a bit closer. And that's when I woke up from my daze. I barely knew this guy kissing me right now. But our hearts beat in the same rhythm, so f*ck it. I closed my eyes and finally kissed him back, my hands sneaking around his neck.

As he pulled back, I refused to let him back off much. Our heads still only inches apart, I locked eyes with him. He smiled. "I almost thought I made a mistake", he mumbled, "When you didn't kiss me back, I mean." "Well, you surprised me, what did you expect?", I gave back. "I thought you weren't that indecisive though", he shrugged. "Hey, I didn't take too long to decide", I defended myself chuckling. "It can feel like eternity in that case though", he answered. "Okay, I'll be more direct then", I grinned. He raised an eyebrow, understanding what I meant just as I connected our lips again.

"Seems like there is one beautiful single-girl less around", I announced a while later as we were on our way back to the dorm. "But it's true", he said, pulling me closer with the hand that lay around my waist, "It really takes a lot of courage to make a move on a beautiful girl." "I guess", I shrugged, "Glad you did." "I am too", he answered and pecked my cheek. We stopped in front of my room. "I don't want to leave you just yet", he pouted. I caressed his cheek. "Me neither", I confessed, "But I really have to do my stuff now and I can't get distracted by a handsome, talented, lovely guy next to me." "That makes up for it at least a bit", he sighed. I chuckled and gave him a short kiss. "Is it better now?", I asked. "Not sure", he answered, tilting his head, "Gotta think about it a bit longer." He pulled me into an embrace and kissed me again. Longer this time. As we pulled away again, he smirked. "A bit better, but I am still sad", he announced. I nudged him. "I really gotta go and continue writing my assignment or I won't be able to turn it in in time", I said sadly. "It's a pity", he said, overly dramatic, but then looked at me lovingly, "But I guess you're right. After all, I am pretty proud that you have a scholarship and I want to support that. And if it wasn't for that... I wouldn't even have met you, would I? Don't overwork yourself and I'll talk to you later, okay?" He bent forward and kissed my forehead. "Until then", he whispered and finally let go off my hand. It felt so empty now that I started to pout. He chuckled. "Off you go", he said softly and I sighed, but obediently turned to unlock the door. He hugged me from behind, blowing a last kiss on my cheek and then opened the door, gently pushing me inside my room. "Make me proud", he winked and then scratched his head, "Although you already do." He shrugged and then awkwardly waved before closing the door himself. I let myself fall against it. How on earth should I work now?

Two hours later, I actually had managed to do what I had wanted to. Afterwards, I had called Gunil who had texted me to tell him once I was done. Just now, I hung up and started knitting. Only ten minutes later, Jessy came in. "Stupid weather, ruining our family trip", she complained, tossing her stuff in one corner. "We wanted to go hiking and ended up getting locked up in my brother's small apartment." "But you got to see them", I replied and she nodded. "Sure. It was a good day still", she smiled softly, "I just was really looking forward to go hiking. Anyway, how was your day?" I grinned. "It was very lovely", I answered. She squinted her eyes, approaching me. I looked at her innocently. "What did you do?", she investigated with a still suspicious look. "Watched movies", I answered, "Made some music." She kept staring at me, waiting for more. I waited a bit longer before adding: "Kissing Gunil maybe as well." Her eyes widened in an instant. It took her a few seconds but then she squealed: "Ohmygoshforrealnow?" I blinked confused. She barely talked that fast. "For real", I then answered chuckling. "Wow, I didn't think it would go so fast between you two. I mean it was obvious there was something going on when Gunil asked me to get you out of the dorm for at least one hour but I didn't-" "He did what?", I interrupted her. She blushed. "Uhm. Nothing?", she replied, trying to look innocent. I raised an eyebrow. "However, you must really like him, huh?", she changed topic. I grinned at her brightly. Whatever, I already figured yesterday after all. She only proved my suspicion to be right and I was content with that. "What gave me away?", I asked back, "The fact I kissed him?" She blinked. "Uhm, yeah that too", she then answered, scratching her head, "But I actually meant the fact that you are knitting – which you only do when you're nervous. And you just got faster talking about him."