Chapter 4-Beauty and the Goat-the School Dance

It was a beautiful winter morning when I heard a soft knock on my door, "Come in," I said, lazily. The figure walked up to my bed and sat on my legs.

"Alright, lazybones, it's time for school," said the voice I soon recognized as Asriel's.

"Is Kris awake?" I asked, not wanting to get up for something as pointless and dull as school.

"Yes, he's been awake," said Asriel. So I took off my robe and dressed into my hoodie, that somehow fit perfectly, grabbed my dagger and sword and walked briskly down the stairs.

(Chara's POV) 

I arose to the morning sun shining brightly into my eyes, I tumbled out of bed, got dressed and went downstairs where everyone else was waiting for me.

(Jacob's POV)

I saw Chara gracefully walking down the stairs, I had to admit, she looked really pretty in her yellow stripped hoodie. As we all walked out the door to school, I felt that bringing my weapons to school might bring a bit too much attention to myself. As we walked into the living hell that was Untertale High School, I felt dull again. 

"O-Ok c-class, j-just a-a f-friendly r-reminder, t-today is t-the w-winter s-school d-d-dance, t-tickets a-are c-completely f-f-free, a-and i-it l-lasts f-from f-five t-to e-eight p-p.m.," stammered Alphys. 

"Huh, no wonder the atmosphere felt so tense when I walked in," I whispered silently to myself. As Alphys stammered through his lessons, I began to fall asleep midway through, but somehow kept myself awake. When dismissal finally arrived, I walked near the back of the group with Kris. "Um, Kris?" I asked.

"Yes?" he replied.

"Will...will you go to the dance with me?" I asked, praying he would say yes.

"Sure, I'd love to!" he said, somewhat enthusiastically. As Kris and I entered the house, I decided that I was going to take a nap that I would soon regret. As I flopped into my bed and pulled my blanket on top of me, I felt a weird lump rise in my throat, I simply shrugged it off and quickly fell asleep. 

(Jacob's dream)

It was the night of January Eighth as I sat on the couch with my parents, only half paying attention to the TV.  

"Alright," I yawned, "I think I'm going to turn in for the night."

"Goodnight, Jacob," said Gingka, my father.

"Goodnight, my son, sleep well," said Madoka, my mother. I went up the stairs and slid into bed. I was only half asleep when I heard a scream from downstairs, I quickly ran to where the scream had come from, only to find my parents lying there...dead. The supposed assassin had already left. For some reason, I decided to check for a pulse, as if this was all just some cruel joke...no pulse. Traumatized and defeated, I sat there, crying and cursing the world. When I had finished my little fit, I went upstairs to pack my things and leave. When I had finished packing, I saw my scythe just lying there, I remembered when I had first made it, I remember how I had convinced dad to make me one. 

"Why do you want a scythe?" he asked, "Why not a sword?" 

"Swords are easy to make, and even easier to learn," I said cockily, "Scythes are much harder to learn." Defeated, my dad decided to make me a scythe for my 12th birthday. I remember how my eyes lit up like lightbulbs, how I endlessly begged my dad to teach me how to use it. I even modified it to be a scythe and a sniper, and how it would eventually break. I smiled and decided that I would indeed bring it with me. I was just sitting around downstairs when I heard the door open, I jumped off the couch, scythe in hand, ready to attack whoever the hell decided to walk through the door. The figure that walked through the door was a girl. She seemed about my age, was about five foot ten, had red eyes, and short brown hair. She was wearing a green, long-sleeved shirt with a yellow stripe in the middle, brown shorts, and brown boots. I was mesmerized by her beauty. She walked up to me and went to pat my head, I jumped back away from her, and stared at her with a determined glare.