Bonus Chapter - Three of Three

The personal conversation came the very next day, as it turned out. Griffin and Beverly had taken Felicity and Abe to school (per the kids' request), and, after Beverly showed Griffin her high school and her now-second favorite coffeeshop, they returned to her family's home.

Her mother was waiting in the kitchen with a too-wide smile and three mugs of coffee.

"Have a seat, my dears," the woman said, gesturing at the kitchen table and leading the couple over. Beverly plopped down anxiously, eyeing Griffin carefully and taking comfort in how calm he looked as he settled next to her, snatching up her hand underneath the table.

"What's up, Mom?" she asked, even though she knew exactly what was going on.

Her mother's smile never faltered, even as she turned to Griffin with calculating eyes. "Not much, Beverly. I just figured that, since your father's at work and the twins are at school, it might be a good time to get to know this beau of yours.

"That being said," her mom's smile fell, until she was looking between Beverly and Griffin almost grimly, "I think we know what conversation is about to occur. Would you like Beverly here for it, Griffin?"

Almost instantly, Griffin's hand sought out Beverly's, and she squeezed his fingers gently when he shook his head adamantly. "If you don't mind," he croaked, eyeing Beverly as though she would disappear if he turned away for too long, "I'd really prefer that she stay nearby."

The words won a slight smile from Jeanne, and Beverly felt herself relax slightly.

Maybe this interrogation won't be so bad after all.

***

Okay, I should have known better, Beverly decided a mere thirty minutes later. So far, her mother had touched on almost every sensitive topic related to Griffin's past: his parents, his father's personality, Griffin's decisions and brief jailtime, and even Cynthia and Francis.

Honestly, Beverly had no idea how her mother had even known which questions to ask, but the woman was a mom, and moms just had that creepy I know everything ability.

Nonetheless, she wasn't blind to how tired Griffin looked, nor did she miss the fact that his grip on her hand had only gotten tighter the longer the discussion had gone on.

Tuning back in, Beverly caught the tail end of her mother's question: ". . . any plans for a career?"

Oh boy, here we go.

Griffin shifted in his seat uncomfortably, no doubt torn between whether he should be thrilled that they'd moved on from discussing his past, or horrified that they were only now talking about the future. "As of right now, I plan to remain at the shop. Cynthia and I have discussed it in depth, and I'll either be taking over this shop for her or be put in charge of the new one we plan to open a few cities over."

That certainly caught Beverly's attention. Turning to him with wide eyes, she couldn't stop herself from asking, "Do what now?"

A tiny smile quirked his lips, the only sign of happiness she'd seen from him since they'd sat down at the table. "Yeah, we just spoke about it a few days ago; I was waiting to tell you about it until more of the details were ironed out, but I don't think it'll hurt for you to know early." He shrugged nonchalantly, but his spine remained stiff.

"And if you leave the city," Beverly's mom spoke up, "what happens to your relationship with Beverly?"

Griffin straightened, his shoulders rolling back and his chin coming up as he set himself up on defense. Beverly was almost touched that he was willing to stand up for their relationship to the same woman who had just been digging into his old wounds. "Nothing at all, ma'am. This wouldn't happen for a while, but—regardless of what's decided—I have no plans to lose Beverly."