Chapter 19

"Jordan! Would you wake the fuck up?"

He groaned and rolled over in his bed. It wasn't pleasant to wake up in a cold room, let alone being yelled at by the demon that went by the name Debi. What did she want with him anyway? It was the weekend, there wasn't any school, and he had been looking forward to sleeping in. Perhaps sit back to let off some stress. But it appeared that Debi had different plans. Lovely.

"Don't make me come up there!" She snapped.

"I'm up! Don't come in, I'm getting dressed. Relax!" That was a lie, but anything to keep the woman from coming up. Luckily, it worked and she left him alone. For the moment anyways.

Once he was dressed, he climbed down the attic ladder and then put it up. He went to the kitchen where Debi was. "You needed me?"

"You need to take out the trash."

She couldn't have waited until he was awake? Nope, he wasn't going to think about it. He didn't want to be more pissed than he already was. It wasn't that big of a deal anyway. There were a lot more issues in the world than being woken early to take out the garbage. Without another word, he did as he was told.

When he came back in, he was immediately met with Debi complaining. "Shit! You didn't put a trash bag in!"

"No, I hadn't gotten to that yet."

"Well, you're going to have to get that wrapper out."

He sighed. Jordan reached down in the trashcan and pulled out the foil before putting it in the new bag. Then he turned to go and brush his teeth.

"Jordan, can you take out the recycling?"

Why hadn't she asked that before? "Can't it wait? I can't even see properly yet."

Instead of shouting like he expected, she tilted her head. "You know, Jordan, change can be hard. You'll get used to it eventually."

He stared at her for a moment, dumbfounded. What was she talking about specifically? Did she mean everything? Was it supposed to be some sort of trick to get him to just do what she wanted, or was she actually making a point? It was a good point, nonetheless. He supposed all he had done was complain. Kristine didn't complain as much as he did. Maybe Debi was onto something for once.

He shook his head and turned to grab a bagel from the pantry. It was too early to wrap his mind around anything, let alone Debi's crap.

A muscular man walked into the living room. Jordan's mouth fell open. "Who's he? What happened to the other guy we were renting my room to?"

Debi slapped him the back of his head again. He passed her a glare but clamped his mouth shut. It wasn't worth the fight. Sighing, he started to walk back to the attic.

"Hey, boy, grab me a beer."

"Do I look like a bus boy to you?" Jordan snapped.

The man glared at him, grabbing his wrist. Jordan's breath hitched. All the other men made him uncomfortable, but none of them had touched him before. He yanked his arm away and fearfully stepped backwards. Using his hands to feel around he quickly made a B line for the kitchen and pulled out a beer. He quickly pushed it in the man's hands before taking off for the attic. For once, he wished he could lock the door. He did not safe with the new man. Hopefully, this one would switch out quickly.

Unfortunately, his room was cold and it wasn't comfortable staying up there for long without being wrapped up in multiple layers and blankets. Which only worked when he was sleeping and wasn't convenient when trying to other things.

Then he realized that Sherman's house was at a walking distance. Perhaps he could call and ask to visit him? No, Debi hadn't paid his bill. His phone was useless.

When lunch time came around, he caved to hunger and left his bedroom. No sooner had he entered the living room when he saw the man outright smack Debi in the face. Jordan's mouth dropped as he froze in place. Debi looked terrified of him. He didn't think he'd seen her look scared of anyone. What had she brought into their house?

The man looked at Jordan. Without warning, he grabbed Jordan by the front of his shirt and shoved him into the wall. His breath reeked of alcohol as Jordan tried to push him away.

"Say anything to anyone, you'll regret it," the man hissed. "Am I clear?"

Jordan nodded, not daring to speak. His voice would fail him if even tried. What the heck was happening? Everything was changing so quickly and constantly, Jordan couldn't process everything.

The man released him and walked into the bedroom with a bottle of more alcohol. Jordan looked directly at Debi who was staring at a wall in shock.

"How long is he staying here?" Jordan hissed quietly.

He didn't get an answer. Somehow he already knew. As long as the man wanted and Jordan had the feeling he would be sticking around for awhile. That was it. Debi had crossed his final line. He couldn't handle much more time like this. Something had to be done. And it had to be done soon, or things could only get worse.

  And it had to be done soon, or things could only get worse