Chapter 7 - Home (Part 1)

Your travel had begun well. The blue sky was decorated with one or other white cloud scattered in the vastness of the heavens. The fresh air had a rejuvenating feel to it and that distinct earthly aroma from the forest revitalized your soul. It had been a wonderful place to live for this time. And you were very grateful for that experience. 

The trip was a long one and you knew it. Especially since you took it by foot. But you were prepared and took it easy. Once the sky was decorated in a fascinating blue and orange gradient it only meant that the sunset had begun. It was also time to settle down for the night, so as soon as you found a decent spot you dropped the leather backpack. From it you took a blanket and put it on the floor and you used it as a temporary bed. Your body was now feeling the push of this day. Even though while walking it wasn't felt, now that you were relaxed you felt how your muscles were sore and tired. But it only added to the experience. It's been a nice walk today... I wish Bruno were here too. I think he would've liked it...

Day after day passed and even though nature was fascinating and wonderful your body was feeling the weight of the trip. Some nights deep within the forest felt a little lonely. You would sit in front of the campfire and relive life back at Casita. Life back with Bruno. The thought of him made you smile but it was a sweet and sour feeling. Sweet because of him and sour because of his absence. Only God if existed knew, how many times you considered returning to Encanto but you kept the compromise with yourself and your heart. Going to the sea for the last time and saying goodbye to your parents was the goal. But still, even knowing that you were going to return you still missed him. I didn't know I'd miss you so much, Bruno. I miss your curly hair, freckled nose and lovely smile. Miss our routines together, your stories, your straightforward comments. and even your rat telenovelas. A smile crossed your face. You're quite a somethin' and I... You slowed your own thoughts at the realization of what you were feeling. "... love you." You whispered surprised as your heart ached due to his absence. You crossed your hands over your shoulders and touched the ruana you have been wearing the whole trip, his ruana, and stayed like that for a while until you fell asleep.

In a few more days you were out of the jungle and into a small town. It wasn't the coast yet but a goodnight rest sounded like heaven. Well, a good night rest in a relatively safe place that is. The jungle wasn't safe and most nights a hint of fear visited the back of your mind as you thought about the wild things that could hurt you. Luckily, it had been a really good hike.

~*~*~*~*~

     As soon as Bruno entered the clearing he wasn't sure which way to go. He assumed the way and headed down the river. Please, I hope I'm right. He kept focused on his way until the corner of his eye caught some movement. He automatically turned his head to look at it and soon noticed it was a golden butterfly. Just like in the visions... Butterflies held meaning to the Madrigals and he also had his own interpretation. He thought of it as a symbol of hope and the right path or decision. And at that moment he decided to follow the butterfly down the path.

Bruno was able to catch up around two of her days thanks to the horse. He was now in a small town. The sun was setting already and he decided that it was best for everyone to also take some rest for the night.

The first few sun rays illuminated the sky and you were up and getting ready to start your way towards the coast. You bought fruits and fresh food but just enough for the trip to the coast.

The whole day, most of it, was spent walking. The sunset was near and luckily you reached the coast before it. You could see the vast open water you once called home. Your heart was filled with joy and faint melancholy. You gripped the charm on your necklace and mumbled "Mamá... Papá... I'm here. I'm home..."

Before time kept passing you rushed towards the port and looked around the ships. Most of them were too big and you knew you didn't have a crew. There were also boats but they were too small and seemed unsafe to travel in open waters. Then at the back you saw a medium sized boat that on the side with golden letters read 'Mariposa'. Your mind went back to the day when Bruno gave you the vision and explained the meaning of the butterfly. Soon a smile appeared on your face knowing that that was the one.

You headed back to where the people were accommodating cargo. It was a familiar place to you and you knew how to behave to get the attention and be treated seriously. There was a thing that sometimes just because you were a woman, older men didn't believe you, ignored you or didn't show respect. But you successfully made them shove their treatment up their black hole.

You approached a guy who was counting some crates and looking at a paper. Perhaps the inventory. With a swift motion you snatched the paper from his hands and stood in front of him.

"¡Pero cuál coños es tu pro-" (What the fuck is your pro-?) The man held his tongue as soon as he saw you in front of him. His expression was now puzzled and just stared at you up and down as he tried to understand the situation. A woman in this place was quite rare after all.

You didn't let his confusion or anger bother you. Instead it made you smirk as you had him where you wanted. His attention all yours. "You see that ship back there. Mariposa. Who's the owner?"

"No sé. It's an ol' ship, y'see. It's been 'ere for quite sum time. There's a bar near the coast. Perh'ps the owner knows a thin' or two." The man replied still a little confused.

"Very well." You offered his note back with an elegance and delicacy that contrasted the earlier way you had taken the paper. "Thank you sir. Buenas noches."

You entered the place like you owned it, even though it was your first time. You walked around with an air of graceful authority and ignored the stares from the ones eating and drinking. Once you got to the bar at the back you asked for the owner of it. Once the owner was out you greeted him and asked to rent the Mariposa. He looked at you with confusion and you took out a money and placed it on the bar. "5 days at most. Maybe less. Will this be enough?"

The man looked down on the money and back at you. "It's more than enough but-"

"Good." You cut his word with a smile.

"The ship hasn't been moved in a lon' time. Revise it well." The barman handed you some keys. "For the doors inside."

"I will." You took the keys and with the same grace and confidence you headed out.

Once outside and away from the people you sighed. That went well. You thought as you looked at the keys.

Earlier you had seen merchants around. So you visited and bought food for the following days. Perhaps even much more than enough just in case it was needed. Once you finished your purchases you headed towards the Mariposa. As soon as you got it you placed the boxes on the floor and looked up the main mast. I'm actually here...