Chapter 10

Mirabel M.: You sure you aren't gonna try to attack her?

Isabela nodded. Mirabel trailing behind her sister in still torn shoes as they entered the town. Isabela glancing excitedly at different dyes she could use to make her dress even more exciting to wear. She had already replaced the orchid in her hair with a blue spiked plant and an orange cactus flower. Much to Mirabel's encouragement. Who said over and over again how amazing the blue looked on her.

However, they noticed a crowd in the square. Isabela continued her approach first. Deciding against interrupting the meeting with the Guzmáns in favor of seeing what captivated the crowd.

One woman turned and saw the pair approaching. The woman who called out to them needed a moment to realize it was Isabela.

Woman: Isabela! Wonderful news! Two Madrigals returned to the Encanto!

Isabela blinked, glancing at her sister, and grabbing her hand to make sure they weren't separated and Mirabel wasn't shooed away from seeing whatever it was that had the townsfolk's attention.

Isabela M.: Who?

The woman simply whispered to other people in the crowd. And suddenly, people stepped aside to let them in. Any protest that emerged was met with a: "They are familia! They deserve to see this more than the rest of us!" Other mutters were heard, though: "Is that really Isabela? What is she wearing?"

It was then that eye contact was made. Isabela with Hernando. Who she knew all too well from the two visions she saw. And Mirabel with Bruno.

Mirabel spoke up.

Mirabel M.: Tío Bruno...?

Isabela's eyes snapped as wide as they could go. Her gaze shifting to her long lost uncle.

Mirabel pulled Isabela forward this time. The crowd closed again after all of the four family members were together in the circle. Mirabel noticing the bundle in Bruno's arms as he and Hernando sat together on the ground. Hernando's knees having given out from exhaustion. Bruno following as he didn't want his husband feeling alone in his exhaustion, even though he wasn't tired at all.

Isabela continued to stare, her eyes only moving in faint twitches nearly invisible to anyone unless they were constantly watching.

Then, her eyes became more shiny. More glassy. Water filled the bottom rims of her eyes. Her eyes narrowed. Tears slid down her face. She gasped for air. She landed on her knees with her sister trying to comfort her.

But she ignored all of it and went to her Tío. Pulling him into a hug, and crying into his shoulder after he wrapped one of his arms around her and spoke to her in a tentative voice.

Bruno M.: Hola, Sobrina... I missed you.

Isabela opened her eyes for a moment. Her vision blurred from salty water.

Isabela M.: I missed you too, Tío!

Bruno continued to comfort his niece as she tried to calm herself down. Joy flooding her more and more. Preventing her from containing beautiful happy tears and a bright smile.

Bruno M.: It's okay, Isabela. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere. Not again.

Never again.

Isabela's breathing remained labored and jagged, but she could see again. Even if her eyes were red. Then, she looked down. Her eyes going wide as she was met with the sight of the child. They made eye contact, the little one giggling and reaching her tiny hands up to try and touch Isabela's face.

Isabela pulled away from the hug, a blush appearing on her face upon realizing that there was still a crowd staring.

You know what? Who cares? Her uncle had finally appeared after ten years. She had every right to cry!

Bruno laughed a little. Holding her out so Mirabel and Isabela got a better view of her.

Bruno M.: So, I'm sorry if this is so sudden. But Isabela, Mirabel, I'd like you to meet your new prima. Her name is Fuega.

Mirabel gaped.

Mirabel M.: Is she really...?

Hernando shook his head.

Hernando P.: She is a Madrigal. But not Bruno's biological daughter. If that makes any sense.

Isabela's eyes narrowed with confusion. The priest, Hector, spoke up.

Hector A.: Bruno and Hernando went with Jorge to get him back to his home. But then the miracle made a trail for them leading to her. There was a Madrigal left behind in the exodus. But Bruno and Hernando found her and brought her here.

Isabela leaned forward slightly, reaching forward to touch her prima's face. Fuega giggled and reached out in return.

Bruno looked up at Isabela again. Noticing the change in accessory.

Bruno M.: I like the plant you put in your hair, Sobrina.

Isabela forgot that there wasn't an orchid there anymore. And only remembered when she touched the sharp leaf of the blue plant. A smile appearing on her face.

Isabela M.: Oh, yes! You were right, Tío. My power grew! You weren't the only one in town, then.

Mirabel knelt down closer to look at Fuega. Smiling at Isabela growing a small leaf plant in front of her.

Mirabel M.: Where'd you get the name "Fuega" from?

Bruno blushed.

Bruno M.: Well, it was partly her hair. Actually, mostly the hair. But I just thought it fit.

Fuega giggled as she reached out to touch the soft leaf of the plant.

However, a thought appeared, shared by the town. And the plant wilted.

Isabela M.: Won't you have to tell Abuela...?

Bruno nodded, swallowing back a lump that began growing in his throat.

Bruno M.: Yes. But you both don't have to go with me. I can handle it on my own. Or,

Bruno paused as Hernando leaned over to plant a kiss on his head.

Bruno M.: I won't be alone, anyhow.

Everyone flinched as the wind picked up, almost sending a few people flying. Everyone cowered from the snow starting to build. Bruno looked at Isabela and Mirabel.

Bruno M.: You should head back to Casita and stay warm. We'll figure it out.

Isabela nodded quickly, Mirabel going and hugging her uncle.

Mirabel M.: Good luck, Tío.

Bruno smiled, hugging Mirabel back with his free arm.

Bruno M.: Thank you, Sobrina.

Isabela stood up, grabbing her sister's hand again and directing them to run back to Casita. Shivering and bringing their arms in from the cold that attacked them.

Everyone else rushed to their homes as well. Hernando and Bruno having to hastily pull together a temporary crib for Fuega.