Chapter 2 : Leora

There's been many times in which I have seen and experienced Edith's anger. It is terrifying and heinous, and being in her presence whilst she's enraged, always fills me with dread.

When I arrived at the backyard of her large, sprawling home, knowing that she was waiting for me, I had expected anger from her. She was always this way, not only to me, but to her other slaves.

Why I had been ordered to the backyard of her home, I was not sure. However, I soon discovered that it was not only me who had been told to come.

Instead, easily twenty slaves were there, speaking softly to each other, their nervousness evident in their postures and faces.

Quickly, I slipped into the crowd, knowing Edith was nearby, and as I tried to remain hidden, I ignored the hard elbows digging into my sides and exhalations of annoyance falling from mouths as I passed them by.

A bitter smile formed on my lips when I briefly met the gaze of one of the slaves; the lycans had trained them well in showing their distaste towards me.

I knew this displeasure of me, for some of them, not all, also came from a place of fear; I was almost certain that lycans had threatened harm to the slaves if they dared speak or showed anything other than displeasure towards me.

The clearing of a throat ripped loudly throughout the air, halting the once scattered low murmuring. It did not take me long to see who it was that had called for attention; it was Edith.

And almost immediately, I knew she was looking for me.

I could see it in the way her eyes narrowed as her gaze roamed the slaves who stood before her, and I could feel a sting on the back of my neck as I recalled the feeling of a barbed wire lashing it.

Heat tickled my palms, and I could feel them becoming sweaty as my body went rigid behind a person who, for the most part, was unknowingly blocking me from her view.

But then the man before me shifted just as Edith's gaze swept my way, and I was left entirely in her line of vision. Her eyes locked on me, and I awaited the anger that would suffuse her features. But that anger didn't come.

No, instead, a fury so biting and strong, slithered through her face, and her eyes darkened with that fury.

A dark flush made its way up her neck and spread through her thin cheeks, and when she spoke, even from a distance, I could see the growth of her fangs in her mouth.

"Step forward, Leora." Her voice was husky, and laced with hot wrath. The heat from my palms travelled up my arms and then down into my legs, and for several seconds, I remained rigid, unmoving as fear captured me.

However, I did not remain that way for long. Hands grasped at my arms, and nails bit into my skin as I was forcibly moved by those around me, so roughly that I tripped, and the straps in my sandals popped and became loose.

Edith had walked forward by the time I reached the front of the crowd, and I was so focused on not falling that I didn't realize what she held until she was right before me.

A glass, filled with light blue swirling liquid, was clutched so tightly in her hands, that her fingers were rapidly becoming white.

At the sight of that potent, familiar, liquid, I began shaking my head desperately, looking between her and that glass.

"No...Luna...ma'am-"

Edith wordlessly lifted the glass, her eyes still so dark and still filled with her silent rage. I did not understand the immense fury she showed towards me, and even though I was accustomed to her anger, this was entirely different.