Chapter 5 : Vakkar

The wooden door of the bedroom creaked noisily when I pushed it open, and I heard the sound of feet moving against the floor.

The noises stopped when I entered the bedroom, and my eyes immediately fell on Leora, who was seated on the side of the bed.

Her eyes were low, casted on her threaded fingers which rested on her lap, and her body was almost curled into itself, as if she was trying to make herself smaller than she already was.

"Leora." I called out to her, and then cursed inwardly when I heard the rough growl in my voice.

It had been a long time since I had talked to someone gently, and I knew, especially by the way Leora's scent became tainted with her fear, that I had failed in my attempts to communicate lightly.

Her lips were pressed tightly together, and her eyebrows were now deeply furrowed as she refused to look at me.

I could not see much of Rhyan East in her features. Her eyes were brown and empty of emotion, and her dark brown but long, curly hair was pulled into a loose bun. The few curly wisps of her hair that were not in that bun, grazed the sides of her still lowered face.

She also did not share her father's pale complexion, and instead, her complexion was a warm, olive one. Her clothes were thin, and held several dirt stains along it, which was a contrast to the clean clothes I had seen the other humans wear.

When my gaze traveled to her neck, my fingers curled tight around the plate I held as I once again examined the puckered, long bruise that disappeared into the neckline of her shirt.

"Eat this." I lowered the plate in my hand against the table nearby as I spoke, and her eyes finally raised, lifting and staying on the plain cheese sandwich I had made.

The fridge below did not have much food in it, but it was enough to prepare the sandwich. I had seen the way she had looked at the food I had not eaten in Rothman's house, and heard the noise from her stomach as she had done so.

As I looked at Leora, it became even more apparent that she did not eat much, which was not surprising, as I knew human slaves often are not provided many meals by those who control them.

The practice of lycans owning human slaves is not uncommon, however, this practice was one that I did not partake in, and I had little intentions of ever doing so.

Leora had yet to move from where she sat. Her breaths were slow, and her interlaced fingers would occasionally twitch.

Her body was strung so tight and tense, and after a moment of saying nothing but watching her, as well as understanding that I was the reason she was this way, I stepped out of the room, and closed the door behind me.

Silence was all that was heard in the room for a short while, but then her footsteps echoed softly on the floor as she moved from where she sat, no doubt to investigate the food I had brought to her.

It was then that I walked away, and almost immediately, Abner joined me at the bottom of the staircase.

"Jareth has reported that the warriors of Feldon appear to be on standby, and he has yet to know why," Abner said. "Our warriors, however, have remained successfully hidden. They're just waiting on your command."

My eyes travelled to a closed window when I heard the strong wind rattle the pane. The sky outside was dark, and no vehicles travelled on the roads nearby.

People were also scarce, and had been throughout the time Abner, Leora and I had walked to this house.

"Tell Jareth that if he overhears any information from the Feldon warriors, to immediately report it to me." I looked back at Abner, who nodded at my words, and slowly, his eyes became glazed as he sent along my message to Jareth, one of the warriors who were waiting near the borders of the pack.