𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄. Party Rockers in the House Tonight!

THREE

THREE.
Party Rockers in the House Tonight!

   MARIANNA tried to make herself feel relief later that night as she stared at her ceiling fan. As she watched the continuous spin, the girl felt tears fill her eyes as she began to get frustrated with herself. No matter how hard she tried to make herself feel grateful for her life being saved, a part of her felt like her fate should have ended in the fire at Delmar's. Death would save her a lot of time, no worrying about college or her family or how she'll live on her own in only a couple of years. About the absolutely suffocating pressure she had on her chest and the grief that followed her around like a stray cat.

   The brown eyed girl blinked a couple of times as her vision began to unfocus before she finally convinced herself she was being ridiculous. Marianna Thompson has a good life. She was adopted by rich people, popular in school, excelled at her sport of choice. She went to a good school, had good grades, good friends. She was never alone, always surrounded by others.

   And she couldn't stand to be alone, especially when she began to question her mortality.

   Marianna doesn't have to convince herself to feel relief when her mother isn't awake in the morning when she's leaving for school. Unlike last night, the emotion comes instantly, giving the girl an instant pep in her step as she walked to school, house keys between her fingers.

   However, instead of arriving at 6:15 am like she always did, Marianna stood on the sidewalk outside of Delmar's, in a trancelike state as she watched pedestrians gather around the burn site like ants at a picnic. A woman bumping into her had caused her to come to consciousness, realizing she was officially behind schedule by 20 minutes.

   When the cheerleader arrived to school she saw her team huddled into groups, gossiping, instead of warming up. Marianna saw MJ looking around the campus anxiously from the bleachers, before the curly haired girl's eyes fell onto the Thompson girl. MJ's worried expression quickly morphs into one of ease as the girl stood and hurried from her spot.

   Marianna picked up the pace as she approached the football field, meeting MJ half way. Marianna was surprised when she felt MJ's arms engulf her, physical affection not being a common occurrence for her aloof friend.

   The shorter of the two immediately felt the warmth and comfort coming off of MJ, and melted into the plaid plagued girls arms, soft tears falling from Marianna's face. She had thought she didn't care that much about the incident, but being confronted by her best friends panic had made her think other wise.

   MJ swiftly pulled back as she inspected her best friend, "Are you okay? Should you even be at school right now?" Marianna quirked a smile at her friend, "I got burned on my shoulder, and yes, I'm allowed to be here right now, it's not like it was super serious."

   MJ gawked at her friend, "There's no way you just said that," MJ furrowed her eyebrows, "BB, you could have died."

   Before Marianna could answer she was cut off by a loud cry. Behind MJ, Coach Dawson and Coach Jans were running up to the pair, arms outstretched.