A junior career wasted? (Charlie)

Today is a day that I never thought would come. It is my second last Formula 2 race and if I win I will take the title with one race to go. I should be excited about becoming a world champion however there is something that has been bothering me for the past month. It is the fact that I haven't been given a seat in Formula 1. The simple reason is due to the fact that luck wasn't on my side. The truth is there isn't much room on the grid. Plus there is another reason. One that Williams or I were willing to face. That is my familial ties to the team. Yes, my name is Charlie Latifi. Prema's latest success story and the younger sister of Nicholas Latifi. I think that is the real reason why I have only been offered a reserve driver role at Williams. Not that I am bothered with the choice as I have a backup option. Formula E. It is a challenge that I have been secretly looking forward to. In fact, I am quite relieved as I was convinced that I would have to go to the World Endurance Championship in the meantime. I am one of the lucky few that get to stay in Formula regulations which I am glad. Anyway, I have a race to win. I feel like I am being too cocky but there have only been two people to catch me in the pole position. That is my teammate Robert Swartzman and my arch enemy Dan Ticktum. He won't be my enemy for long though. As we will be teammates in Formula E.

"You think too much. You just need to focus on the race," my lead engineer remarks.

"You're right, Paul, but I have a lot on my plate right now," I retorted. It's true as in two weeks from now I will be starting as a Formula E driver.

"No. Right now you have a race to win," He responds with a smirk. His enthusiasm puts a small smile on my face.

"Ok. I'll try my best not to be bothered," I concede. This type of conversation is going to be one of the many things that I will miss about Prema. It doesn't take long for me to get ready. With a good luck pat on the shoulder from Paul, I pull myself into the car. After five minutes of waiting the lights have come on. Three two one. As soon as the lights go out I launch the car. I reckon that it was one of the best starts I have had. It was so good that I was able to avoid being overtaken by Dan. Even though it was a good start I know that Dan will be on the hunt. Not that I mind as it will be fun.

"Just so you are aware you are going to have to watch your tires. I believe that Dan will try and force an early pitstop," Paul informs me via the radio.

"You know I won't let that happen," I responded. I am not really surprised as it is one of the few strategies that Dan has used to get past me before. It doesn't take long for me to settle into the familiar rhythm of getting the car around the track whilst avoiding Dan's tricks. There is just one problem. I am making a slight mistake in one of the turns. I am hoping that Dan won't notice. My hopes are soon dashed as Dan manages to slip past me. However, it doesn't take long for me to take the position back.

"Sorry about that," I find myself apologising for the mistake that I made.

"Don't worry. You got the position back," Paul reassures me. After an hour of racing, even with pit stops, it has come down to the last lap. Something tells me that Dan will try to get me in one of the first three corners. Call it a guess but I am confident that it will happen. There is another trick that I have under my belt. That is trust in the car. It doesn't take long for us to reach turn three. It feels like an eternity before Dan backs off but as soon as he does I apply the brakes. That was too close. Thankfully I am able to come out on top with that risky move. I am definitely not going to do anything like that again. Not that I will be driving on traditional circuits in Formula E. It doesn't take long for me to get far enough ahead to secure the win.

"P1 again. Good job," Paul informs me of my victory.

"Thank you but I did have help," I retorted. Yes, I try my best not to be a glory hog. After all, we are a team. It doesn't take long for me to get the car back to the Parc Ferme area. It doesn't take long for me to replace my helmet and balaclava with the first pace cap. The others soon follow my lead.

"You did well today," Dan compliments me. I can tell that he feels a little awkward doing so.

"I had a good enemy," I replied. It's true. Having Dan constantly on my tail was the push that I needed. There is just one thing that I haven't told him. I will be his teammate at NIO.

"Well I guess now would be the time that I wish you luck," Dan says. I find myself impressed at the fact that he doesn't know who his teammate is.

"Let's just say you're going to need more luck than I do," I respond cryptically. I also add a wink for good measure. I find the confused look on Dan's face mildly amusing. It has been a couple of weeks since then and I am the first to arrive at the briefing room for the first day of testing. I am closely followed by Dan. He looks surprised to see me. To be fair I was expecting some surprise on Dan's part.

"I know what you're thinking. I just never bothered to tell you," I find myself explaining the situation. I find myself wondering what Dan thinks in regards to the situation.

"I'm just surprised as I thought you would have focused on your F1 duties," Dan remarks.

"Well, I couldn't sit still so I took the other vacant seat at NIO. Now here we are," I say. I get the feeling that I will also be having this conversation with my brother at some point. I just hope that it will go smoothly. I doubt it but I will find that out at a later date. It doesn't take long for the rest of the team to join us. I brace myself for the information that I have heard before. The reason why I have heard the information before is due to the fact that I came to Valencia a week early to get some 'private' testing done as I only really have today to get some work done. I still wonder why the official testing days couldn't be on a clear week on my schedule. To be honest I am glad that I am not the only one that has the same issue. I really think that this briefing is really meant to benefit Dan. Not that I can complain. Thankfully we are quickly dismissed as it was basically a reminder for us to take the time now to get used to the car. It doesn't take long for me to get ready. With the go-ahead from my lead mechanic, I leave the garage. I soon notice that the car feels better than the last time. After an hour and twenty minutes of work, I bring the car back to the garage since there is not much that I can do now. Well, at least I know that I am in good hands. I soon find myself in the hospitality area checking my phone. Most of the stuff is encouraging messages. That is with a few exceptions. A message from my brother catches my eye.

B: how's testing?

C: Good. I'll tell you more when I reach Yas Island

B: Ok

I just know that he is asking because he reckons that I am going to regret making the move to Formula 1. Well, the joke's on him. I'm actually glad that I am partaking in Formula E. It gives me the chance to do something different.

"Charlie, what is bothering you?" Dan asks as he takes the seat next to me.

"Nothing," I reply. There is no way that I am going to tell him about the differing opinions that my brother and I share about Formula E.

"Are you sure?" Dan retorts. I hope this won't be a common thing.

"Yes. I'm sure," I say. The thing is I know that I need to learn to trust Dan as we are teammates but I want to keep my work life separate from my personal life. It's not going to be an easy task but I am going to try my best to make it work even though there is not much that I can do.