A Call to Adventure

A cool mid-summer shower gently poured down over Laguna di Gondolia and woke me from a brief nap as it quietly pelted against the tarp over my narrow tent. It was about time; I waited for what felt like days, camped out in the region on a grassy ledge near the coast southeast of Gondolia. My sole reason for doing so was because the beast that I was hunting only came out when it rained. I learned in my time studying the base creatures of Erdrea that some monsters were particular like that; time of day and the weather were factors in their spawn rate. Shame. Alice and I liked to sleep through the rain; it was extremely soothing.

Perhaps later.

I sat up in a hunch and peered out beyond the lip of the tent at the murky ocean as dawn crept out over the horizon; the vibrant hues warmed my heart. It was gorgeous, but I had no time to admire it. Time was of the essence. Gathering my gear, I woke Tempest from his nap; he snuck out without permission from Gianni, but honestly the old coot needed to run his own shop for a change.

"Wake up, sunshine. It's time," I declared.

Tempest opened his eyes and squeaked out a yawn. He was adorable. The entire hunt would have been a bore without him. Taking him in my arms, his warm gooey body relaxed as he tried to wake up. I knew the pain; I too was barely awake.

Sliding my hood over my head, I exited the tent. The cool moist air brought goosebumps to my arms, but I ignored it as I took down my tent and cleaned the campsite for the next traveler. Gianni told me that monsters did not venture close to certain areas used as campsites. I often wondered if it had anything to do with the statue that sat near them; an angel that emitted a strange power. It was eerie, but I didn't fixate on it long as I sat Tempest down and slid into my knapsack.

"Are you ready?" I asked my small companion.

Tempest bounced in excitement.

"Let's goo," he exclaimed.

I laughed and led him along the coast, dodging unnecessary battles as we raced towards the mire. Monsters were everywhere, sloshing around in the thick mud as they marched in continuous patterns along the clearing. I saw Muddy Hands sink into the earth, ready to pounce, and the poisonous Midnight Horknight, a goblin-type creature mounted on a giant wasp, patrolling the area. But the beast I sought was nowhere to be found.

Where is it?

Perhaps in the next area.

I raced through the mire into the second clearing, searching. The snap of a whip caught my attention and on a rocky knoll, I saw it, skittering around on its eight leg-like roots.

"There it is," I uttered with a grin.

The Gnawchid.

Alice and I have trained for this occasion. It felt like a graduation test; one we would soon overcome.

"Here we go Tempest," I exclaimed.

The said slime growled and leaped forward, ramming into the beast's thick stem-like body. The Gnawchid was thrown off balance, but recovered and snapped its sharp fangs at us, ready to fight. It was as horrendous as Gianni told me; a flowering plant with sundry tendrils that closely resembled a daffodil.

I took out my knives, but the beast suddenly attacked, snapping its tendrils through the air like a whip to hit me. I managed to dodge, rolling in the mud to avoid being hit, but the Gnawchid attacked again, forcing me to keep on the run from its violent attacks. It was much faster than I anticipated. There was no way I could cast a spell under these conditions. Weren't most RPGs turn-based? Someone didn't pass along the memo to this beast. Damn.